Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Nix323

Car: 1995 Mazda ba 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
itll take an hour to swap over outside the car. its probably only about 15 nuts and 10 bolts.
Yeah, for the sake of buying a manual ecu...
I'll talk to my boyfriend & see what he thinks, all suggestions are useful at the monebt
Nix323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
ill have a manual ecu. cut up the loom this week sorry though to use on mine.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Clean_Cookie

Double post?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
Sssoooo to do a full auto to manual conversion there is a lot that needs to be changed... ive done this before with a BG astina and its not to fun...
not sure why you had some much trouble with a bg. the auto computer is seperate to the engine computer. which makes the job easy compared to a ba.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Nix323

OKAY, so just an update!
(you all know how much you hate googling a question in a forum and the poster never told them how they went or if it worked!)

We have successfully removed the transmission this weekend!
I am going to go with the option of getting a new manual ECU & loom for s1/2.

It was a big job, but we pulled out the gearbox/clutch/flywheel and all other parts that we could gather we would need.

we dropped the gearbox out with the engine still in the car, since it is just a parts car we welded a piece of steel below the sump to hold the engine in without the K frame or gearbox.

I so far haven't pulled out the dash, I removed the centre console to get at the gear shifter & its bolts... but we are hoping to leave the dash in. the clutch pedal came out pretty easily.

The clutch still has a fair bit of meat on it, so it depends on how expensive a heavy duty clutch will be as to which way I go... but personally... I don't want to be doing this again ANY time soon... ... or ever in general! ha ha ha

Because the hoist is needed by my brother, we decided to leave it at stripping the parts car and getting it out of the shed, so that is where it stands. We won't be able to resume this project for two weeks Since there is a drift event next weekend, but I will definately post updates of hiccups & progress.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix323 View Post
OKAY, so just an update!
(you all know how much you hate googling a question in a forum and the poster never told them how they went or if it worked!)

We have successfully removed the transmission this weekend!
I am going to go with the option of getting a new manual ECU & loom for s1/2.

It was a big job, but we pulled out the gearbox/clutch/flywheel and all other parts that we could gather we would need.

we dropped the gearbox out with the engine still in the car, since it is just a parts car we welded a piece of steel below the sump to hold the engine in without the K frame or gearbox.

I so far haven't pulled out the dash, I removed the centre console to get at the gear shifter & its bolts... but we are hoping to leave the dash in. the clutch pedal came out pretty easily.

The clutch still has a fair bit of meat on it, so it depends on how expensive a heavy duty clutch will be as to which way I go... but personally... I don't want to be doing this again ANY time soon... ... or ever in general! ha ha ha

Because the hoist is needed by my brother, we decided to leave it at stripping the parts car and getting it out of the shed, so that is where it stands. We won't be able to resume this project for two weeks Since there is a drift event next weekend, but I will definately post updates of hiccups & progress.
a New HD Clutch will be around $250-$300 and machining the flywheel will cost $60, would be worth doing if you have a heavy foot or if it will ever see a track. A few people are fans of NPC Clutches and say they're better than Exedy clutches, I'm yet to install mine but i've been in a few cars with NPC clutches and they bite real hard.

oh also make sure you take out the cluster from the parts car, its pretty easy to get to, put your front seats all the way forward, take out the glove box, then the shifter trim, then start unscrewing the cluster shroud, once its off unscrew and unplug the cluster and your done. The ECU is also exposed when you do this so you have to do it on the new car anyways.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #27
Nix323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemenara View Post
a New HD Clutch will be around $250-$300 and machining the flywheel will cost $60, would be worth doing if you have a heavy foot or if it will ever see a track. A few people are fans of NPC Clutches and say they're better than Exedy clutches, I'm yet to install mine but i've been in a few cars with NPC clutches and they bite real hard.

oh also make sure you take out the cluster from the parts car, its pretty easy to get to, put your front seats all the way forward, take out the glove box, then the shifter trim, then start unscrewing the cluster shroud, once its off unscrew and unplug the cluster and your done. The ECU is also exposed when you do this so you have to do it on the new car anyways.
Cheers!
well I have got a bit of a heavy foot... but it will be doing country km's not city ones, so the clutch shouldn't have that hard of a time - it will whilst I am getting used to it though ha ha!

as far as the cluster is concerned, is this to get the tacho in? because it already has one
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Alemenara
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 94 V6 BA Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix323 View Post
Cheers!
well I have got a bit of a heavy foot... but it will be doing country km's not city ones, so the clutch shouldn't have that hard of a time - it will whilst I am getting used to it though ha ha!

as far as the cluster is concerned, is this to get the tacho in? because it already has one
No but the auto and manual cluster is different, you CAN use the auto one and it will work fine, but why not swap it since its like a 5 minute job to take it out.
Alemenara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #29
Nix323

It has the correct kilometres on it
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Clean_Cookie

Only difference is the bulbs for the auto lights.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
Nix323

Oh those.... Those don't work anyway!
I kind of actually forgot they were there...
Old 18-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #32
Nix323

Donor motor proceeds to blow smoke when at full running temperature.
We have taken the manual gearbox out, leaving the engine in the car.

What do I need to do to "trick" the automatic computer?
Old 22-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
Nix323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_Cookie View Post
I couldn't figure out how to remove the auto shifter without breaking something. That may be my idiocy, but if anyone knows how it will help you.
The only part I could imagine you could break would have been the part with the centre console when trying to remove it from the section with the auto shifter. I did this on my donor car first to work out how it clips. It has a horizontal clip in either side, so you just need to get your fingers between the panel & the carpet & pull outwards, then that allows you to pull it up and off
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
Nix323

Okay for reference of anyone wishing to do this, the motor is supported by the engine mounts which actually hold the gear box, so you need to support the weight of the engine whilst the gearbox is out.

Manual comp & (engine)loom plug straight into the auto (dash) loom.

I had to buy another car for parts JUST to get the loom, they seem hard to come by. A wrecker in East Keilor, (ToyoMaz) is an unpleasant fellow which whom I would discourage anyone from dealing with- tried to charge me $450 for the loom & ecu. Then had the nerve to offer me $200 for my parts car that is complete except for the gearbox & manual related parts.

Needless to say I went and bought a full car for $400 and will never do business with that man.

So the car is running, everything is in place, my only problem is it revs & idles strange.
It idles at around 1200 in neutral, but goes up to 2000 when put in gear (clutch pushed in still) & revs itself during gear changes - I take my foot off the throttle, press The clutch & the engine jumps up 500revs from wherever it is at the time.

Aside from this, it is doing great.

Tags
automatic, ba gearbox, gearbox, manual conversion