Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
alexu

Car: BA Hardtop 1.8
Gearbox Problem - Can't get into 1st or 2nd

Hey guys,
Having problems with the manual gearbox. I cannot move the gearstick left from its neutral positon at all, meaning I cant get to 1st or 2nd gear. I ended up having to drive all the way home in 3rd last night - not fun. I was hoping this might just be a problem with the gear linkages, so I put it up on stands this morning and had a look, there was no obvious problem, I could shift between 3, 4, 5 and R by moving the linkage by hand or with multi-grips, but not get to 1 or 2.

Any Ideas what would cause this kind of issue, if its fixable, or if I'm in for a new gearbox?

Thanks, Alex
alexu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
This happened to me a little back, I just swapped out boxes.

Can try changing gearbox fluids? Checking what comes out and how much is in there.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu View Post
Hey guys,
Having problems with the manual gearbox. I cannot move the gearstick left from its neutral positon at all, meaning I cant get to 1st or 2nd gear. I ended up having to drive all the way home in 3rd last night - not fun. I was hoping this might just be a problem with the gear linkages, so I put it up on stands this morning and had a look, there was no obvious problem, I could shift between 3, 4, 5 and R by moving the linkage by hand or with multi-grips, but not get to 1 or 2.

Any Ideas what would cause this kind of issue, if its fixable, or if I'm in for a new gearbox?

Thanks, Alex
ryan had the same issue but his problem was that the gearbox mounts broke. check all our mounts and make sure everything is a.ok. check the rear gearbox mount first as that is want broke on ryans car.

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mat View Post
ryan had the same issue but his problem was that the gearbox mounts broke. check all our mounts and make sure everything is a.ok. check the rear gearbox mount first as that is want broke on ryans car.
this and the bushes on the gear shifter itself. but it was hardest to get into second on my box on the weekend. its only a days job to swap it...LOL.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
alexu

Thanks guys, Ill try check out the gearbox oil and mounts now.

I did find that the gear linkage that doesnt move, just braces against the box was slightly loose, but i figure that isnt the main problem since i couldnt change to 1 or 2 by moving the main linkage with multigrips. A broken mount might casue it to become loose...

More Info: when the problem first started, I couldnt move the stick up from the neutral position, so i couldnt get 1, 3 or 5. It then changed at some point so I couldnt move it left.
I also felt the steering pull quite hard to the left, I thought it was a flat tyre at first. (this only happened untill i pulled over. It stopped once I realised it was the gearbox and took off again)
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I'd say shifter bushes, then engine mounts.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
yep pull linkage apart and check engine mounts. See if you can select with the rod out. then it's the bushes. doesn't sound like you broke the fork. which is the good bit.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
alexu

I suspect it's a problem with the gearbox but I'm going to fully remove the linkage rod and go over the mounts again tomorrow to make sure.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the linkage fully removed, I should be able to get all gears with vice grips, even if an engine mount or linkage rubber is broken.

Unfortunately I'm probably going to end up scrapping the car when it runs out of rego in a month anyway. So unless its a cheap fix, which now seems very unlikely, I'm going to be driving around in 3rd until then.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
alexu

I fully removed the shift linkage today and had my sister hold the clutch in while i tryed to shift gears with vice grips - no luck, it looks like an internal problem in the gearbox. Ive also lost all gears other than 3rd now.

Anyway, Ill be wrecking it soon so let me know if you want anything off it
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
TheMAN

Car: .
broken shift fork

Tags
gearbox, linkage