Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Wink Picking her up in the morning

After much deliberation (alot of stuffin round & deciding) here is the new beasty I chose over 2 others. Picking her up in the morning. This IS for the long haul, as I intend to see this through to the end & employ all the knowledge I've learnt, mostly the hard way, to make it an awesome lil beasty & simply enjoy driving the thing.

Basically, I wanted to start with a street legal turbo model. This model has the forged bottom end so, similar to the earlier STi's so, that's one big tick

I will have a little time off to think things through. I know these engines pretty well. Like most models, you have to know the model year changes before jumping to conclusions.

Few mods done by seller inc:

Stock twin T's swapped out for a huge single

Sporty black wheels

REX STi seats front & rear

I'll list any other things after I get it home & go over it in more detail Tues or Weds.

90% sure the suspension has stiffer springs/shocks. Don't have enough info on the stcokies to be certain. Sooooo new to these Soobydo's

Here's some pics:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 20-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
one of my favourite shapes. for modifying you did pick one of the better.
being a wagon guy it's my only issue.

But looks nice and clean. good luck with it
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Nice pick !
I've always loved these cars and they run pretty good .
Good luck - hope you pick up tomorrow with no hassles
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
nice looking ride ma

do you get the stock twins too???

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Liberty B4 too, nice!

Wouldn't it be a bit laggy with the single?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 View Post
Liberty B4 too, nice!

Wouldn't it be a bit laggy with the single?
thats what i was thinking but the liberty are around the 1400ks mark and the wrs sti's are around the 1250kg mark.. so maybe he put it on there for the extra get up and go.. i got that info from a very good source

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Just seen more photos on carsales of this car, looks nice.
Wonder what single turbo it has ?
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble323 View Post
Just seen more photos on carsales of this car, looks nice.
Wonder what single turbo it has ?
maybe a VF34

SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
smurfy

Car: sp20
We have matching wheels.. woooo

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
NaughtyGT

Ah, smurfy, once you go black......hehe.

Noble, was a friggin good deal for cond it's in trust me. Needed nothing for roadie as it's been maticulously maintained. I'm friggin STOKED. Compared to the earlier blue Liberty (STI transplant etc) from earlier thread wasn't in the same league. I actually chose this over 2 other Rex's mainly due to it being this later model & the immaculate cond it was in. After the Merc BS, I needed a break man! Seller looked after this really well & to cut a long winded story, he'd bought it off an older dude who owned earlier Rex's etc. This guyz dad owned Rex's too so, they respect them I guess. You gotta watch 2nd hand Rex due to well known owner abuse. Natorious gear change tales on the forums. Scary really. If you abused this with this size turbo. Box wouldn't last long from what I've researched.

These were big big money new & I guess it's a Rex's fat brother? The turbo conversion & piggy back ECU, tune etc would have set orig' owner back a bit. The twin set up wasn't good if you read about it. Pretty ordinary.

Close again Mat It's a VF35 journal not the 34 bearing. This was the choice outta the 2 mainly as it has a slightly smaller rear to spool a little quicker than the 34. On record, lil' porka weighs in @ 1495kg with full tank so, close again Mat! She's a lil' porka yeah but, the STi Rex seats are prolly a tad lighter than the original leather? I'd prefer the leather though & may source some yet?

Marc, turbo's a little on the laggy side but I actually prefer it for 2 reasons. Your off boost/-pressure nearly the whole time you drive it through normal traffic so, economy in normal driving cond These engines are basically a Rex engine & almost Rex box so their tuff. I would've in hindsight gone for the next smallest turbo which would spool a little quicker for sure but you'd lose the higher range grunt. Really not much happening til about 3500? By 4000, full boost @ 17psi. I think @ 3250? begins pushing 5psi. I didn't push it past 6k revs as the oil colour was a bit ordinary (so typical aint it? was pretty annoyed, not good for turbo either ) & it's almost due for timing belt change. Don't think I'll go for a FMIC as this would no doubt make it laggier. The small TM prolly helps the spool.

After driving it round for few hrs (hehe) up/down windy roads & on highway, you do need the extra grunt due to body weight I suppose so, not worried about it for now. Gear change is quite direct & notchy. Clutch is perfectly matched for how I like to drive. Really impressed.

So for now. It's off the road while I research how to do the timing belt & major service etc on these. I know you can get a clamp thing for the belt pulley removal. It's almost due for change. Will do a major service too while I'm at it. I still have the commodore as a daily for now with full rego so may as well chew through that for a bit. Give her a really good engine clean & purge (secret wizardry I learnt from an ol' pro when the Commy engine tappets went crazy hehe) Give it some new fluids all round. Cheack hoses, w/pump etc. Radiator was replaced approx 20k ago apparently.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 14-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 13-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
NaughtyGT

Prolly not do the timing belt just yet. May wait til it gets closer to the mark. I will need to change all the oils though. Hopefully do it in the morning. Flush engine @ least & put some nice 5w in. See how it likes it. Go from there. Haveb\n't had a chance today to look @ anything closely. Have been working since 8:30 & won't be finishing til near 11pm Had to help my wifeys worrk this morning then come to my work this arvy. Oh well.

Thanks Mat for details about shop

Old 13-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
rodhog

Timming belt is a head ****. My only issue with subbies is Tbelt and clutch.
IMO everything else is better. You can do a service especially on late model post 98's including auto fluid and filters. So easy. Camry easy almost.

For those who wonder what a Twin T B4 is like. why most drop it. A Supra is smooth all the way. VVTI - is another level. Rx-7 FD you don't notice the first turbo die on either S6 or latters and yes S8 is best as long as all systems are right. pretty seem less.
GTO V6 - IMO smoothest simple push in back and holds okay.best shot of 2JZvvti.

The Subaru system is very very werid - you read this and that. I drove one in Sydney traffic 2 weeks down parra -road city west link - north Sydney. I was normally using my mother BA v6. The difference is GEAR selection. Your in the wrong gear or you find the right you don't know how it will go. It would frustrate you. It never felt consistent.
Some say it's like two light switches on and on. I never found that in a straight line. or if you took off at lights. - which I have to say was hard to do smooth even on stock clutch. even bedding it in as I was. This was fitted with MRT enhancements and I think it was ECUTEK on board it honestly down low felt worst. I never told the owner but the fact my mx6 would take him to 100km/h and he'd have to drive around me at the top end 140km/h plus. (on the track I swear) Twisty's it was all 4WD grip only. Punch it right out.

People who own them and love them never really go away from it. I love the quality hate the 4WD. Love the service and parts department.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
morganluke

Car: MY06 XT Forester/04 VY II Calais
Nice pickup. A B4 with a single turbo conversion is an epic win!

By 'basically a Rex engine' you mean, a Rex engine dropped into your car. The B4's can't just lose a turbo from the existing setup - they have to replace the engine completely with a Rex single turbo one. Do you know what engine did they put in it?

VF35 is a great turbo. Perfect compromise for street use and the occasional boost up the twisties

Enjoy in good health!
Old 14-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganluke View Post
Nice pickup. A B4 with a single turbo conversion is an epic win!

By 'basically a Rex engine' you mean, a Rex engine dropped into your car. The B4's can't just lose a turbo from the existing setup - they have to replace the engine completely with a Rex single turbo one. Do you know what engine did they put in it?

VF35 is a great turbo. Perfect compromise for street use and the occasional boost up the twisties

Enjoy in good health!
Hi Morgan, pleased to meet you & thanks

Your perfectly right. You can't simply rip the TT's off & replace it with a single (if only it was this easy) The single T conversion required a piggyback ECU among other things. Not sure on what brand/type was used? Seller did tell me when I picked it up but it escapes me now? I will be exploring all this myself this morning as I haven't had a chance to do anything else but check oil/fluid levels yet.

What I meant by the B4 basically being a Rex engine is, these EJ20's have the forged internals, funky valve train etc as does the earlier Rex STi engines. Also, the B4 Jap JDM's have similar power as the earlier V3/V4 Sti's. These Aus delivered B4's are de-tuned to use our crap fuel (98RON). If you were to do an import STi conversion, you would still have the 'tuning problem' to get around & tests here showed the B4 actually performed similarly to the STi's due to our 98RON limiting the STi's performance, allowing for the B4's added weight.

To better clarify why I brought up the Rex engine comparison, I had looked @ buying a MY98 Liberty just last week & wrote this on an earlier thread, which had a 97' STi V3 full import transplant. As both were Liberty's so, both weighing much the same (MY98 about 50kgs lighter) I opted for this later model for the extra money.

Without even a dyno, I'd say this B4 set up I have would punch out more power than a stock STi V3 & have similar engine strength. The gearbox, even though it has shot peened parts & some other goodies, this size turbo is really testing it's outer limits, much more than the TT's ever could. The STi's box would prolly be stronger still? Let's say I won't be punching it everywhere I go that's for sure.

Hope this clear up any confusion

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 12-09-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 14-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhog View Post
.....For those who wonder what a Twin T B4 is like. why most drop it. A Supra is smooth all the way. VVTI - is another level. Rx-7 FD you don't notice the first turbo die on either S6 or latters and yes S8 is best as long as all systems are right. pretty seem less.
GTO V6 - IMO smoothest simple push in back and holds okay.best shot of 2JZvvti....
Rod, the stock TTZX I owned for a short time I felt was very balanced. Nice power all the way the rev range. That was an auto though. Would luv to try a 5 speed in good nick. Other than the heat issues of course due to that V6 crammed into the ZX engine bay. Well known bad heat soak to the wiring looms not to mention the excessive heat on the COP leads. No room to put a spanner. Frightening

Old 14-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
morganluke

Car: MY06 XT Forester/04 VY II Calais
The STi box is definitely stronger... They get the infamous 6sp

Should sign up to subyclub.com

Old 14-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
rodhog

Yeah All twin turbo V6's have that heat issue. The GTO required many vacuum lines replaced but overall being 90% stock was fine. VG30's IMO better to work on being Longitudinal. but Age got them with the heat. Was one running around in a Datto1600 and don't know how that was worked on.
Old 15-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganluke View Post
The STi box is definitely stronger... They get the infamous 6sp

Should sign up to subyclub.com

Morgan I was referring to the earlier STI's. The 6 speed box you refer to were'nt available in the 90's era. That would be the replacement box of choice for sure if the time came. I hope it won't though.

The 5 speeds I referred to were these 90's model STi's/Rex's etc. There somewhat similar I think to the one in the B4? Maybe there not. I'll have to do some more research when I have some time off. I don't think they're all that weak though. Abusive tramping/gear changes aren't necessary. The 6 speed box's give a slower quarter mile time too. The reason behind the EVO's quicker time I am on a few good forums. I'll take a look @ this one you suggest. Thanks

Forum info sometimes must be taken with a grain of salt too. Some knowlegable folk sure but also, there's half-truth's flying around. Always is. Sooby oxners are also infamous for the 'flat gear change'. Personally, I think it's crazy but that's me. If you abuse any clutch/box, it'll break/wear unless you modify it with internals above stock spec.

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 15-08-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 15-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
NaughtyGT

Alot of confusion over the engine internals:

The tech manual states: The pistons are a hybrid type forged! Howz that for confusion haha. They are 'hypeutectic' & are cast yet are stated as being lightweight forged alum/moly coated

Old 15-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
rodhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post

Forum info sometimes must be taken with a grain of salt too. Some knowlegable folk sure but also, there's half-truth's flying around. Always is. Sooby oxners are also infamous for the 'flat gear change'. Personally, I think it's crazy but that's me. If you abuse any clutch/box, it'll break/wear unless you modify it with internals above stock spec.
That is So true. I get asked how do I blow a gearbox with such low power. I just Tell them I was told my brake pads looked like they came from a Production race car.

The other thing is clutch. I really can't under stand how it is that in a car that can't really spin because it's 4WD and owners just can't slip a clutch. I can't have never understand why people don't use a clutch. Like it's designed to be.
Your not crazy either on the flat change the amount of Suby box's floating around Bankstown that had 1st and 2nd DOG - straight cuts. So I Can flat change but most owners Raped the dog rings. because they drove it like a syncro box.

I wouldn't worry too much over the pistons until you blow it. If you get it tuned right and keep it safe you might never need to open it etc.

I wanted to ask how is the wear rate on the pedal rubber? been looking at Liberty 3.0L- B and not impressed with the wear on the pedals. I suspect wear on the car higher then the KM's