Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #181
fr35hr

Car: Mazda 3
thank you 99BJAstina who ever you are!
fr35hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #182
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
So this 99bj guy who ever he is seems nice but fr35hr i hope you do find all the info your looking for, for you mazda 3 SP23, it seems to be the only car people talkabout on here

Oh and congrats on your 5th post also lol

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #183
maz_zam

Car: 03 BJ Protege Sedan
Went back a page and read about your FS cam install mate and wondering how its been now after almost 2 months? And any closer to installing the intake as exhaust cam as well?

Very interested as have the FP-DE as well and read bits and pieces on this mod over different forums. Especially if youve been to the drags and thoughts there?

Anyway sweet build thread mate, subbed for the 1.8 relevence for me
maz_zam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #184
HAIGHIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz_zam View Post
Went back a page and read about your FS cam install mate and wondering how its been now after almost 2 months? And any closer to installing the intake as exhaust cam as well?

Very interested as have the FP-DE as well and read bits and pieces on this mod over different forums. Especially if youve been to the drags and thoughts there?

Anyway sweet build thread mate, subbed for the 1.8 relevence for me
hey man sorry for the epic late reply

yer the cams going good man, down low its about the same maybe a little bit more sluggish but up in the rev range it really comes alive, i always noticed the FP would start to run out of puff about 5800rpm and would really only come on to a power band from about 4000rpm. so not much to play with,

with the cam in it starts to move about 3800rpm and just REV's n REV's n REV's and then you hit limiter lol but yer it really suffers from the 6700rpm limiter. i would like to bump it up to about 7400rpm, from about 6200rpm it really starts to pick the revs up nicly but just straight to limiter (yes i hit limiter alot lol but its way to easy lol) and even on the outside of the car it doen't sound like its reving its hole either it actually sounds very comfortable.

putting the FS INTAKE cam in place of my EXHAUST cam will be happening as soon as i can get my hands on one lol, but hopefully it should just really even out the powerband a little bit smoother but again i think i'm going to suffer from the poor red line our cars have.

over all i think it was a great mod to do. the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle range is much more toey and responsive aswell so when you are just crusing it just purrs along. i would love to say go and do it but if i was to hepl you out in anyways i gess i would say just hold off untill i can undertake putting the FS intake in for the Exhaust aswell to see if its better to just get both of them done instead of having to do it/get it done twice but as soon as i do get my hands on one i will let you all know

Old 19-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #185
maz_zam

Car: 03 BJ Protege Sedan
Seems interesting enough to give a shot i reckon. Hopefully by the time I get headers in you will have tried swapping out the exhaust cam for the intake and can see if worth the both

I know may be bit of work for not massive gain but its all about the projects right

Cheers for the reply
maz_zam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #186
HAIGHIE

exactly right man, and you also get a slight lumpy cam note to it aswell hopefully it's a little more so with the exhaust cam done

but BIG NEWS AND A LITTLE BIT OF A SET BACK

MOTOR DECIDED TO CARK IT TODAY

pretty neg about it but just means bigger and better things to come
i'm taking this as the strip and rebuild phase

list of items to be going in new engine.

forged wiseco pistons
forged k1 rods
ARP head stud kit
ACL race series bearing through out the motor

head ported and slightly polished, with looking at maybe 1mm oversized valves on the intake and not sure if possible but maybe 2mm on the exhaust as the heads on these cars were the point where they relised they were running out of money and were like he i found these stick them in she'll be right.
along with some new stainless valve guides, and new valve springs.

and then bolting all the MSP gear with the GT28, and REDSTAR intercooloer system

so a bit to do in the next month or 2 but should be well worth it and then i will worry about the gearbox later lol

so no body invite me anywhere because i have to save

Old 20-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #187
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE;
head ported and slightly polished, with looking at maybe 1mm oversized valves on the intake and not sure if possible but maybe 2mm on the exhaust as the heads on these cars were the point where they relised they were running out of money and were like he i found these stick them in she'll be right.
along with some new stainless valve guides, and new valve springs.

so no body invite me anywhere because i have to save
Hehehehe 121 exhaust valves eh

ROFL

It's ok andy... Us two can just hang out from now on, save save save mode for mee too
Poor Mazda
Old 20-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #188
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Using the 2 litre block for the turbo build?

And sorry to hear man

Also dont worry so much about the intake its the exhaust that needs the work What redline are you aiming for? If your not aiming too high then I wouldnt worry about doing that much head work. Remember changing the size of the valves will affect your bottom end. Head with a small amount of work done will flow 7500 easy

Last edited by Ice88; 20-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #189
HAIGHIE

nar man using my current FP block just got to sus out the damage hopefully its not to bad and hasn't wrecked everything so i can't use this motor. ( i wanna keep engine numbers) and i like the way the FP's rev. yer i will be looking for like maybe a 7200 limiter max with this motor under boost.

i will be getting the hole engine balanced and finely machined by a bloke i know who's very experienced with this **** but works for him self now only to make a little spending money as he's retired well semi lol, but yer he's very cheap

but yes the heads will flow there easily but it's better to have them flow alot better so you don;t have to strain the motor of all its got to make what you want better to have it flowing a **** load so you can make easy power on not much

and yes azz hahah 121 valves lol i can't wait to pull the head off one at work so i can compair lol bet you they are lol. actually there probly bigger then ours lol.

now here i got making a shopping list don't really wanna see the price in total :/

hopefully it the car will be quick .... fingers crossed

Old 21-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #190
familiagtx

Car: Mazda BJ SP20 Turbocharged
Sorry to hear about the bad news
familiagtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #191
Ice88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
nar man using my current FP block just got to sus out the damage hopefully its not to bad and hasn't wrecked everything so i can't use this motor. ( i wanna keep engine numbers) and i like the way the FP's rev. yer i will be looking for like maybe a 7200 limiter max with this motor under boost.

i will be getting the hole engine balanced and finely machined by a bloke i know who's very experienced with this **** but works for him self now only to make a little spending money as he's retired well semi lol, but yer he's very cheap

but yes the heads will flow there easily but it's better to have them flow alot better so you don;t have to strain the motor of all its got to make what you want better to have it flowing a **** load so you can make easy power on not much

and yes azz hahah 121 valves lol i can't wait to pull the head off one at work so i can compair lol bet you they are lol. actually there probly bigger then ours lol.

now here i got making a shopping list don't really wanna see the price in total :/

hopefully it the car will be quick .... fingers crossed
Those rods wont work then, no real need to get longer rods on an FP. If your just after some forgies check out some forged BP rods IIRC there similiar BE, might need some slight machining to fit. You'd gain about 2 mm in rod length

I wouldn't go much bigger if any bigger on the intake tbh id be focusing on the exhaust valves. There tooo small and im kicking myself now that I didnt have them enlarged by a mm. Also wish i had had the exhuast ports mirrored in hope of getting better exhaust velocities.

Remember the bigger the valves are the lower your intake velocity will be and thus the worse the engine will perform at lower rpms. Honestly man at that sort of redline you don't really need any big head work, port patch, smooth out machining marks and you'd be under way

EDIT: Might even be able to use a BP piston on top, but youd wanna check this out.

Last edited by Ice88; 22-04-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Ice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #192
TheMAN

Car: .
I'll need to look in my manual again... it illustrated some differences between the FP and BP I think
Old 22-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #193
Ice88

The biggest thing to my mind would be lubrication. How the oil squirters hit the piston etc.

But then there's alot of intricacies that I'm yet to learn
Old 22-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #194
HAIGHIE

I'm getting rods made to the same specs as the stock FP rods but obviously stronger. So really just the same length and same jernal sizes, but a much stronger rod and then i'll use the FS wiesco 9:1 forged pistons, which will give me a compression ratio of about 8.3 - 8.5:1 so i can be happy with a bit of boost

Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #195
HAIGHIE

UPDATE:

so due to the terrible unfortunate accident of a fellow member SWIFT JIMMY's SP20. I have picked up a hole lot of parts because I felt bad and wanted to give him all my cash so he could invest in a not pride and joy.

parts including.
. Mishimoto radiator
. Mishimoto shroud
. Mishimoto coolant reservoir
. Mishimoto power steering reservoir
. Fidenza 3.5KG Flywheel
. G-series gearbox
. Excedy HD clutch kit
. AWR 70 duro engine mounts
. SP20 dashboard ( like the hole thing)
. SP20 center console and all that jazz
. wholesale 20mm rear swaybar

I have just purchased some goods from Alex todd from the states
. Corksport S pipe
. Corksport J pipe
and something else that he has thrown in for me because he's a nice guy

I have bourght an entire sunroof off him aswell but he's working out the best way to ship it to me so that will be installed hopefully by the end of the year

I have also purchased a BJ1 sport20 front bar off rupe and a new mazdaspeed rear wing

my engine is getting pulled out in the next couple of weeks striped down and sorted out and then sent away for machining and balancing once I receive my new pistons and rods

my next adventure then will be to build the gearbox and try and make one fairly unbreakable as I plan to make a fair amount of power out of the old girl once she's all back together

so heaps to come in the very near future, so stay posted

Cheers
Andy

Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #196
sikwitit
AstinaGT Regular

Car: ford laser sr2
good score you have there I have the fidenza flywheel and exedy heady duty button clutch massive improvement along with the engine mounts will be a lot of fun
sikwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #197
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
you like hahahahahaha. sounds like a whole lot of what i've just been through. its fun.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #198
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Cant wait to see the end result Andy
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #199
Hammo

Car: 03 Sp20
I knew you got your greasy mitts on all that shiny mishimoto gear hahahaha

chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

If you could choose between your'e dream girl and dream car

What rims would you put on it?

^^^ Click Me For Build Thread ^^^
Hammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #200
familiagtx

Car: Mazda BJ SP20 Turbocharged
Very nice

Another turbo BJ in the making

I know your going to be burning up money at the moment, but if your investing all this, I recommend using a aftermarket ecu instead of the stock msp ecu
familiagtx is offline   Reply With Quote