platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
nice work should all be good!!
Old 23-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #82
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
.. and I STILL havnt adjusted the angles of my lights since putting them in.

ive gotten used to a car with lazy eyes.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #83
Eire323f
Stupid like a fox!

Car: 323f V6 BA
I was thinking about the HID conversion but the cost was a bit much.Then I found xenon bulbs which don't need the HID ballasts to fire them. They are a straight swap for the original H1's. Haven't picked them up yet but I will keep you posted. The other problem I've heard with the HID's is that if/when the ballasts fail the headlights keep lighting and cutting out,so instead of just replacing a bulb you have to fork out for another ballast. Not much fun on a twisty country road at night.
Eire323f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #84
platypus
living in the past man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire323f
I was thinking about the HID conversion but the cost was a bit much.Then I found xenon bulbs which don't need the HID ballasts to fire them. They are a straight swap for the original H1's. Haven't picked them up yet but I will keep you posted. The other problem I've heard with the HID's is that if/when the ballasts fail the headlights keep lighting and cutting out,so instead of just replacing a bulb you have to fork out for another ballast. Not much fun on a twisty country road at night.
me thinks you've been had here... but post us some pics/links!
Old 14-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #85
spreston

Car: 1997 ba 1.8L astina 1994 gq nissan patrol
why are hid up grades illegal on cars not manufactured with them look great though
spreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #86
reshiek

Car: BA astin
hey guys,
i purchased the HID kit from ebuy product.
i think it is a bit to bright. purchased the 8000 kit.
is there anyway to reduce the power?
i do not know what to do, i get flashed by the odd driver, but was wondering is it legal??
reshiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #87
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
you cannot reduce the power. the salt burns at a specific heat and thats it. the gas mixture in the bulb is what determins the colour heat (4000K 6000K 8000K etc) 4000K is white, 6000K is slight tinge of blue and 8000K is blue. its not legal, none of them are but if worst comes to worst you can try to argue it out that as the law stipulates (in QLD anyway) a "self leveling" headlight can have HIDs and since you havea BA with prijector lowbeams your could be classified as legal as the light is allways leveled off at a certain point due to the projector design and minimal light is that can "dazzel" oncoming drivers escapes past this highest point. if you get flashed a few times only thing you can really do is to lower the projection of your beams to face more to the ground. if you removed the headlights to install the HIDs you might have screwed up the height so go to a nice flat wall at night and shine your lights at them, and make sure that your drivers side beam is lower than your passangers, and that your passangers comes out parralell to the gound IE the tallest part of the beam projection on wall is "same" height as the headlight
hope this helps mate
Tony
Old 28-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #88
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
hey guys - just wondering what kit would be suitable for a '97 BA I4 astina. looking around for something $350 or less... any suggestions? can those who have theirs for a few months/yrs provide some feedback? what are the 4000K like? much brighter than the stocks? not a huge fan of the blue colour, but still want something super bright!!! my mate put them in his car and its like daylight 500m away! i think hes got 8000K though. stupidly bright...

thanks!
Clean_Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #89
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
You're gonna have to check the casing of your headlight to see what type of bulbthey are as they could be H1 or H3.

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3154

I, myself have a 6000K kit and its definately brighter than stock but I find it not bright enough. Maybe my kit isnt as good as others. I wouldnt go for 8000K though as it might attract unwanted attention cuz of that blueness.

I know you can get some HID kits for around 100ish bucks on ebay but dunno about the quality of those though
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #90
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
most peeps on here have 6000k's fitted, nice and bright tho!
Old 28-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #91
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

also me thinks its worth mentioning that the higher the colour value (ie 6000K > 4000K) the less light there is actually emmited.. so if you want really good visibility go for the 4000k ones, they are yellowish white, but much brighter than halogens..
Old 28-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #92
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
ive bought two sets from a seller off ebay, not sure if he still sells on ebay coz wen i got my last set he wasnt but i was able to deal with him outside of ebay. anyway, ive bought 3 in total from him and no problems with any of them, the first 2 sets i got for around $90 each but due to the dollar dropping my last set was $115 about a month or so ago. ive got 10000K in my foglights (very blue and bright) and 6000k in my headlights (fairly white and lights up several hundred metres up the road). let me know if u want me to link u too the seller.

scott
scott b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #93
schwinn

Car: Astina BA11F1
I think Applio here used to sell... haven't heard from him for a while. If you do get them from him get your parkers from him too, would look weird with whitish lamps but yellow parkers.
http://astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10538
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #94
phly
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 BA Astina Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
I think Applio here used to sell... haven't heard from him for a while. If you do get them from him get your parkers from him too, would look weird with whitish lamps but yellow parkers.
http://astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10538
Agreed. Looks heaps better when you get white LED parkers to match the HIDs
phly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 01:41 AM   #95
Advv

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BA
Sorry to bump this thread. I just installed my HIDs tonight. Installation was pretty simple. Adjusting is a pain in the ass. I'm not sure why but my left headlight is stuck pointing down. I tightened the screw to the max but it still won't lift up. Basically, my right headlight is giving out most of the light and the left one points to the ground. Because of this, there are peaks. The left side is peaked pretty bad (IMO) and I think it might cause some trouble if I drive in the middle lane and someone is driving in the left lane. Does anyone know what I should do? I'll probably end up taking it to mazda or a mechanic if I can't fix it myself.

And yes, white LED parkers would look much, much nicer on my car compared to the yellow parkers. It looks weird right now and it's really obvious that it's not stock.
Advv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #96
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Sounds like the adjusters in your headlight are broken - it's a common thing with BAs.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #97
platypus
living in the past man

sounds to me like the bulbs aren't setup correctly... to far back or forward will change how the bulb interacts with the output.

unclip it and have a play with them on, i'd think that pulling them back in the housing will bring the light up for you, or as dan said they is just plain busted adjusters....
Old 23-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #98
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

also as the bulbs havea round and a square notch (ithink) in the base of them it may be easy to spin it out by 180 and it will be end up pointung up or down (it cant be stuck pointing left or right really..)
Old 23-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #99
Advv

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BA
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I tried the 180 degree flip with the right headlight last night and it helped a bit (reduced the peak). I'll try it with the left headlight and see what happens. I'll probably move the bulb around a bit and see where it works best. Also, would anyone know why LED parker lights don't work with my 97 BA astina hardtop? I went to an autopart shop today and they tried three different LEDs without any luck. The original bulb (incandescent?) still works though. I've asked them to order two of the original bulbs in for me but with a bulb tint on them so they look white. Just looks too weird with white/yellow right now. It's too noticeable that it's not stock so I hope I don't get defected. Also, the adjustment isn't perfect yet so there's probably more chance of me getting defected for them.

Any way to tell if it's definitely the adjuster that's broken? And how to repair it? The guys at the autopart shop had no idea.
Advv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #100
RustyKaos

Car: 1998 BA 323 Astina Hardtop
About the parkers you have to reverse the wires for it to work. Had to do that for mine.

Come challenge me. I dare ya.
RustyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote