Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 21-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
z-alot

Car: Nissan 300zx
2000 323 BJ ASTINA 1.6L Underpowered?

Hi All,

Currently I drive a Nissan 300zx NA, and have an old 1992 Corolla ae86 given to me for free but I haven't had the time to fix it for 2 years ha! doubt if I would ever get around to it. Got a far bit of rust around the windscreen.

So I really need a 2nd car. I've see some pretty good deals for late 90's to very early 2000 Astina 323 hatch backs..

One has my particular attention which is the 1.6L 2000 323 BJ ASTINA in traditional hatchback shape, not the sexy sloping back ones..

Was just wondering is it worth getting a 1.6L ? Do they feel particularly underpowered. The corolla AE92 I have impressed me since its the first get up and go 4 Cyl I've driven. Then awhile back I've test driven the late 90's astinas for a friend purchasing, the sexy slope back ones 1.8L which go like the wind, greatly impressing me during the process.

Really need family kind of car, so dont mind 1.6L has long as its not seriously underpowered like come on go go go. Or is its really worth hunting down a good example 1.8L incase I regret it.

Anyones thoughts? Havent test driven a 1.6L yet. Perhaps I should find out.

Last edited by z-alot; 21-11-2012 at 04:13 PM.
z-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
BG1.8sp

Car: 2009 BL MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-alot View Post
Hi All,

Currently I drive a Nissan 300zx NA, and have an old 1992 Corolla ae86 given to me for free but I haven't had the time to fix it for 2 years ha! doubt if I would ever get around to it.

So I really need a 2nd car. I've see some pretty good deals for late 90's to very early 2000 Astina 323 hatch backs..

One has my particular attention which is the 1.6L 2000 323 BJ ASTINA in traditional hatchback shape, not the sexy sloping back ones..

Was just wondering is it worth getting a 1.6L ? Do they feel particularly underpowered. The corolla AE92 I have impressed me since its the first get up and go 4 Cyl I've driven. Then awhile back I've test driven the late 90's astinas for a friend purchasing, the sexy slope back ones 1.8L which go like the wind, greatly impressing me during the process.

Really need family kind of car, so dont mind 1.6L has long as its not seriously underpowered like come on go go go. Or is its really worth hunting down a good example 1.8L incase I regret it.

Anyones thoughts? Havent test driven a 1.6L yet. Perhaps I should find out.

Any mods done to the 300?? My family has had a few

If you think the NA 300 goes Hard... then you wont really find the 1.6L toooooo bad. But if you think the 300 is a bit sluggish... then be prepared for the 1.6L lol

I get in my brothers 300 and do the whole "come on go go go" thing.
and same in my Sp20 too! rofl

also did own the "sexy slope back one". that was pretty slow compared to the SP20... but man they can rev

I would personally just go for the 1.8. Bit more poke... wouldn't cost a whole lot more and the engines are bullet proof (gearboxes aren't for that matter)

feel free to ask as many questions here.. we are all pretty friendly! and try to help when we can.

p.s. Welcome!
Old 21-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
z-alot

I've got the 2 seater z32 300zx. Havent really done many mods ha theres not that many mods for NA's, just one piece tailshaft, and underdrive pulley. Drives very nice and comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't call my 300zx sluggish but also I wouldn't call it amazingly fast. I actually really enjoy the way it handles on the road especially the steering feels great. Have to test drive the TT version someday!

How many 300zx's your family been through? haha! wonder if your Bro is a member of aus300zx.com ?

Test driving a 1.8L mid-late 90's astina now that impressed me, along with the Corolla ae92 which is just a tad bit slower in feel. Ha! So I should check out the SP20..

I was kind of in a dilemma, fix the freebie Corolla for $1k-ish myself or spend $3k-4k on a Astina of some sorts. Astina is probably more comfortable since the Corolla is in pretty shabby condition. Mind you my wife is learning to drive so the Corolla is better to dent in theory!

I've heard about the gearbox issues in Astina's. I guess when it goes it will be good experience to learn all about engine cranes

Many thanks for the fast joyful reply! Seems like a great place here!

Last edited by z-alot; 21-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 21-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
The boxes won't break with normal and spirited driving on stock power levels. Bolt on a hairdryer and you may have issues. BA series ran from 94-98, the first series as denoted by the p1 in the vin number had stronger boxes, later models had nicer trim, that's basically the only major differences. The bj series from 98-03 range in price widely,as you've probably noticed. I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for a clean ba though, bought my current one for under $500.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
z-alot

The BA's I've been looking at online are about $3k to $3.5k! I was thinking that prices gives you a clean example.. ha! I should look around more. Yep BJ's are here and there in pricing not really grouped together.

I guess I should test drive a few more and see what I think.

BTW good bargain at $500! Does that come with rust at all? Just wondering since other makes I've seen at that price are pretty neglected and rusty.. Not really suse if mid 90+ Astinas have good rust protection? ie. body pre-dipped in zinc paint etc?

Last edited by z-alot; 21-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
BG1.8sp

Quote:
I've got the 2 seater z32 300zx. Havent really done many mods ha theres not that many mods for NA's, just one piece tailshaft, and underdrive pulley. Drives very nice and comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't call my 300zx sluggish but also I wouldn't call it amazingly fast. I actually really enjoy the way it handles on the road especially the steering feels great. Have to test drive the TT version someday!

How many 300zx's your family been through? haha! wonder if your Bro is a member of aus300zx.com ?

Test driving a 1.8L mid-late 90's astina now that impressed me, along with the Corolla ae92 which is just a tad bit slower in feel. Ha! So I should check out the SP20..

I was kind of in a dilemma, fix the freebie Corolla for $1k-ish myself or spend $3k-4k on a Astina of some sorts. Astina is probably more comfortable since the Corolla is in pretty shabby condition. Mind you my wife is learning to drive so the Corolla is better to dent in theory!

I've heard about the gearbox issues in Astina's. I guess when it goes it will be good experience to learn all about engine cranes

Many thanks for the fast joyful reply! Seems like a great place here!
Use to be a frequent member on aus300... Forum just isn't what it use to be.
FairladyZTT is dads user and Slick97 is my brothers.

Had 3 300zx's so far.still have 2 ad my uncle has the 3rd now.

1x 300zx z31 1985 rebuilt the body and the engine... Extremely clean.
Should be a for sale thread (if you search dads user) think it still might have pics.

1x 1990 300zx Twin turbo 2+2. If you have a look at some pics of old Sydney tech days. Pics of all 3 (more mods since) were at the 2010 Zfest. And most cruises.

1x 1997 300zx 2 seated slick top. Stupid amount if suspension mods.. And only 50k on the clock... You haven't seen Imacc 300 until you seem this. Lol

But yeah... We no longer come out and play with the 300 boys anymore.
Use to do a lot of plenum pulls and 100k services for the old fellas. But yeah... Forum isn't what it use to be.. And cruises end up in a cock contest.

Anyways. Good luck with the cars.. Test driving all of the different models would be your best idea.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
z-alot

Yeah I know what you mean about the 300 forum.

Seems like a competition of all sorts, with personal attacks from time to time for some forum members and recently a rogue mechanic keeping member cars for 1 years+ and doing a runner.. As well as another member selling a 60" TV won in competition then doing a runner for $2.5k or something. All sorts of things are happening over there, but still a helpful place.

I strictly just keep to Buying section of forum and ask technical questions whenever I get really stuck fixing my own 300.

It wasn't until I spent some time on a Corolla forum I thought to myself theres actually other forums where ppl are extremely helpful the above and beyond sort while sensible at the same time.

Wow I would love to see the 1997 300zx with 50k on the clock.. I would be worried if the odo was clocked back or not though with these cars, but if its looks smells fresh then it should be mint!

Yep I think I'll test drive this weekend at a car yard something.. see whats nearby me for private sellers as well.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Clean_Cookie

Haha. And from what my mate says, the corolla forum is way less friendly than here haha. So look forward to seeing what you buy. Ps. Ba are awesome. Bg with turbo are very fast and comfortable. Bj...are... cheap in terms of build quality. Motors do take mild boost and perform well. Look the newest, and look great with a lip on the front.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
z-alot

Thanks Clean Cookie for summing up the different models! I was purely thinking BJ since I believe its a little bit more roamier ? I'll keep in mind the quality, I actually prefer a comfortable ride since my old man is getting way over the hill so would like him to be comfortable when going on weekends to the holiday house with the rest of the family.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
BG1.8sp

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean about the 300 forum.

Seems like a competition of all sorts, with personal attacks from time to time for some forum members and recently a rogue mechanic keeping member cars for 1 years+ and doing a runner.. As well as another member selling a 60" TV won in competition then doing a runner for $2.5k or something. All sorts of things are happening over there, but still a helpful place.

I strictly just keep to Buying section of forum and ask technical questions whenever I get really stuck fixing my own 300.

It wasn't until I spent some time on a Corolla forum I thought to myself theres actually other forums where ppl are extremely helpful the above and beyond sort while sensible at the same time.

Wow I would love to see the 1997 300zx with 50k on the clock.. I would be worried if the odo was clocked back or not though with these cars, but if its looks smells fresh then it should be mint!

Yep I think I'll test drive this weekend at a car yard something.. see whats nearby me for private sellers as well.
Got the Logs for the 97
She niiiiiiiice.... It gets driven like twice a year, storage at another family members house. Every time I see it I just drool.

Difinitely a waste of the suspension sitting under it tho.

Yep... I log in every couple of months.. And get sick of un helpful rude wankers and I log off! Lol
Hope you can find your stay here alot more friendly... You generally don't get your head bitten off and out moderators are awesome (prays for discount from rupe! Lol)

With regards to interior room... There isn't really much... Between the BG and BJ I found leg room was same, tiny bit more in the back, but the car was most definitely wider.
Couldn't comment on the BA... Sorry
Old 21-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Clean_Cookie

The hatch is more slanty, I.e less side room in head region than the hardtop. I think they would all be reasonably close in size. All three are great for 2 people, , 5 is a bit squishy.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
BG1.8sp

Yep 5 people just don't go well. 4 is fine lol.
Middle is useless.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Clean_Cookie

Btw all three will have shot suspension by now. So a new set may make life nicer for all concerned. The BA's look stupid without at least a 30mm drop. The sp20s are a good height from factory imho. Doesnt look 4wd spec!
Old 22-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
I owned a 1.6 Ford Laser KN (same as the Astina varient) when in 2000ish. Not a high powered machine, but the power delivery was good considering it was a 1.6L.

I own one of those 1.8 sexy sleek Astinas not. And power and power delivery is much better.

Problem is finding a good one nowadays, as the are between 14 and 18 years old now. they'll almost all need some kinda of work.

The BJ 1.6 most likely will have spent most of it's life owned by a old granny coulple and not have too many issues.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
z-alot

Yep the 1.6 BJ looks like a possible granny car with low kms..

BA! yep when I drove one I instantly felt the good power delivery and pickup.. but yeah seems like generally theres plenty of 250km examples on carsales..

I dont mind fixing up a tired example as long as it always had refreshed engine oil and proper coolant as well, also when possible no mouldy smeels inside.

Whats the major issues with BA's between 250 to 300k kms? Think major issues probably would be CV joints and clutch?. Later requiring engine out I assume?
Old 22-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
more likely to have engine seal issues and window guide issues on a BA than anything else.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote