Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Classifieds > For Sale/Wanted

View Poll Results: Which car should we design our first cold air intakes for?
BG Astina 9 25.00%
BA Astina 18 50.00%
BJ Astina 9 25.00%
BK/Mazda 3 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
LordWorm

Car: .
EOI [Aus-Wide]: B3Motorsports CAI (Poll)

Ok guys and girls,

There has been some talk in other threads about a cold air intake we are developing. I'm here to tell you its true, we are working on cold air systems for astinas. They will be produced locally here in Brisbane, made out of aluminiumiumium, include a K&N filter, hose clamps etc. Designs will be based on tried and true designs, with some of our own inovations thrown into the mix.

Purpose of this thread, is to guage interest in various models of cars that we can build them for. Right now, for sanity's sake, we're going to limit it to the BG, BA and BJ astina's - and wont be including things like V6 hardtops and what not. Eventually we'll go into these in a big way, but we feel the majority of interest will come from the more common cars.

So please, vote on the poll, let us know which car we should make these for first. please only vote if you are genuinely interested in purchasing one off of us! I cannot stress this enough. Last thing we want is to go into a limited production run and not be able to sell the things.

You are looking at between $300 and $400 a pop as a rough ballpark for one of these, will be polished aluminium and then clearcoated for protection. Also looking into some powdercoating options.

UPDATE:

see http://astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=105117for tentative pricing on both the BA & BJ cold air intakes!

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com

Last edited by LordWorm; 21-06-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
prodigy

Car: Car
Send a message via MSN to prodigy
Sounds great! mines a ba but also a v6 hardtop!
Old 23-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy
Sounds great! mines a ba but also a v6 hardtop!
V6 hardtop will definantly be looked at in the future - but the vast majority of forum members dont drive these things.... so as I am sure you can appriciate we need to get the more common cars sorted first....

stay tuned tho =)

and if you are really desperate for one we can always look at a completely custom setup.

Old 23-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Sorry grand high worm, voted before i read the post have a ba hardtop v6. Hope i don't screw up your count.
Old 23-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
wow.. $300-400...!
Old 23-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
wow as in good or bad? or as in greg might as well have written "between $0 and $10m"

to be honest it'll be somewhere around $380-390 at the moment, but we'll try our hardest to get that down to the lowest possible price.
Old 23-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
wow as in good or bad? or as in greg might as well have written "between $0 and $10m"

to be honest it'll be somewhere around $380-390 at the moment, but we'll try our hardest to get that down to the lowest possible price.
In addition, will depend on what model we build it for... some will obviously need longer, windier pipes then others. More longness and more bendiness means more money..which is why i put such a wide ballpark on it :P

but yes, what twiggy said *nod*

Old 23-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Cibicu
yeah i might be up for one, depending on final price and design.
Old 23-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAstina
yeah i might be up for one, depending on final price and design.
design - take a look at the injen and the k&n typhoon.... it'll essentially be that, with hopefully one of the bends ironed out a bit to cut the length of the pipe a bit.

Old 23-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

yeah, thats alright, my only issue would be with it going too deep into the passenger side "hole" cos the possibilty of accidental water ingestion is a "slight" concern to me...I know the chances are remote, but it has happened.
Old 23-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Vote BJ people!!!

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
Old 23-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAstina
yeah, thats alright, my only issue would be with it going too deep into the passenger side "hole" cos the possibilty of accidental water ingestion is a "slight" concern to me...I know the chances are remote, but it has happened.
its highly unlikely
I've heard of it, but never seen documented cases of it happening.....

Twiggy will no doubt clarify this - but either way, cant see it being a HUGE issue...the waters gotta get through the filter, get sucked up by a reasonably long pipe..... could happen i guess....but rediculously unlikely.

Also, its one of those things... cold air NEEDS to be drawn in from outside the engine bay, and not everyone has fancy bonnet scoops.

Chipa: yes, vote BJs! :P i want one of these intakes too remember :P I cant have one quickly unless its commercially viable to make one :P hahahah

Old 23-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
twilightprotege

just dont go driving through water! easy fix
Old 23-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

yeah, its only likely to happen going through some standing deep water which is sometimes hard to spot in heavy rain, and i am prepared to live with the risk, but i just wanted to see how well the positioning minimised the chances...BTW, i believe it happened to a guy who used to be on this forum in an sp20 who had a k&n typhoon, result = bent rods.
Old 23-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #15
twilightprotege

yeah karlo killed the engine driving through water.

i dont doubt it's never going to happen, but keep your eyes wide open when it's raining
Old 23-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
arden

Car: Suby
Yeh what twiggy said..Karlo didnt exactly drive thru a small puddle.
Old 23-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #17
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
hey ye sorry twilight, i meant $300-400 seemed a LOT to me if all it is is a ~$100 filter with some alloy tubing.. but i suppose it has been all thought out so all u have to do is follow instructions and bolt it on....
Old 23-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAztinA 323
hey ye sorry twilight, i meant $300-400 seemed a LOT to me if all it is is a ~$100 filter with some alloy tubing.. but i suppose it has been all thought out so all u have to do is follow instructions and bolt it on....
Well... aluminium tubing isnt overly cheap in the size this thing is... plus you have all the silicon hosing and reducers, and money to recoup r&d costs etc. If you compare it to what it'll cost you to get an injen into the country its pretty reasonable i think u'll find..and we're trying to keep it that way to make it attractive to would be purchasers.. I am pretty confident that it'll be one of the, (if not the) cheapest aluminium cold air intakes you can find for the astina's in oz.

It'll be made in such a way that its just a matter of tearing the stocko intake poop off and bolting the new one on....

Old 24-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #19
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
its highly unlikely
I've heard of it, but never seen documented cases of it happening.....

Twiggy will no doubt clarify this - but either way, cant see it being a HUGE issue...the waters gotta get through the filter, get sucked up by a reasonably long pipe..... could happen i guess....but rediculously unlikely.

Also, its one of those things... cold air NEEDS to be drawn in from outside the engine bay, and not everyone has fancy bonnet scoops.

Chipa: yes, vote BJs! :P i want one of these intakes too remember :P I cant have one quickly unless its commercially viable to make one :P hahahah
Don't mean to rain on your parade Twiggy, my car has 140k, engine was replaced at 82k, when previous driver went through a puddle of water without an air filter. Seen the reciepts, $14,600 brand spanking new engine from mazda. Def don't want to be mixing air intake with water.
Old 24-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #20
twilightprotege

yeah no rain at all - i'm certainly not doubting that it *could* happen, i'm just saying if you drive smart it's very unlikely you'll ever have a problem
Closed Thread