Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 17-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
jordy

Car: '91 BG
Send a message via MSN to jordy
Broken sensor

My temp gauge was moving up occasionally then dropping back down to normal, I figured this would be a sticky thermostat so I got a new one. In the process of changing it I discovered the sensor in the thermostat housing (the one you can see on the top the easiest just looking into the engine bay from the front) was glued in. I had to get it out to change the thermostat and because of the glue I pretty much destroyed it in the process.

Can anyone tell me what this sensor is for? I'm picking either temp gauge sensor or fan control sensor, I just need to know to get a new one. I kinda need my car this weekend

Cheers.

Edit: Forgot to say, BG Astina GT jap spec, for those not clever enough to notice my sig
Old 17-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
YDUTRY

Car: mazda 3 MPS
how are you just in reply to your question it is called a water thermoswitch, i had to buy one yesterday for my bp dohc you are looking at around $120 from repco for the part, i got it at trade price for $75.

hope that helps.

Ads.
YDUTRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
DrSilver

Car: Astra Sri T
Send a message via MSN to DrSilver
its the switch for your cooling fan. DONT drive if its broken.
you can buy new from repco/mazda or second hand. I bought a second hand one for $20 for my BG...works perfectly.
DrSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
jordy

I figured out what it was, the fan sensor. Repco quoted me $52 for a new one but I ain't paying that much. I know a guy who owns a Mazda wrecking yard so I'll get it there. In the mean time I just earthed it so the fan is on constantly until I can replace it.
Old 17-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
DrSilver

Car: Astra Sri T
Send a message via MSN to DrSilver
your fan will overheat and probably blow up..dont let it run constantly..its electric, not mechanical.

$52 for a new one is cheap mate(specially if u r keeping the car), how tight can u be?

Last edited by DrSilver; 17-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.
DrSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
fan is also only useful in hot situations where the car is running while stationary for long periods of time, (city driving.) try to keep the car moving where possible and you shouldn't have too many troubles. but best to fix it asap.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSilver
your fan will overheat and probably blow up..dont let it run constantly..its electric, not mechanical.

$52 for a new one is cheap mate(specially if u r keeping the car), how tight can u be?
Well I could most likely get a second hand one for free, or about 1/10th that if I did have to pay. I wouldn't think the fan should have any troubles spinning constantly, only that if I left it this way it would reduce it's life.

This sensor seems to have something to do with my idle because it wont drop below ~1500 rpm. Either that or when I had the air hose thingy off I tried to clean the oil out of the throttle body and I somehow made the butterfly stick.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
geetee

Car: A Mazda 323F BJ Sport.
Send a message via MSN to geetee
If its idling high then its possible your engine is overheating, which will cause pre-ignition.
Keep an eye on the temp gauge.
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
jordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee
If its idling high then its possible your engine is overheating, which will cause pre-ignition.
Keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Whoops forgot about this thread, hence the long reply time.

Well the high idle was due to lack of pressure in the cooling system, thanks to my wonderful Dad not doing the thermostat housing bolts up tight.

Now the cars all fixed with a new thermostat and thermo sensor the fan seems to be turned on a heap more than it used too... the old thermostat was 88 deg and the new one is 82 or 80 (can't remember). Weird.