Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 26-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
obzelite

Send a message via ICQ to obzelite
swapping latemodel NA dizzy onto BPT thats just been fitted.

Well its been a while but both my BA astina and my brothers are now fitted with BPT's. Wiring was a learning experience but both cars got started on the weekend, my brothers was the first car to have the wiring done and took a bit to fire to life, but with that knowledge it took less then 5 minutes to have mine wired up and running.
Mine still needs finishing with the radiator to go in and just cleaning up to go get registered; my brother’s got finished last night and is now in getting the exhaust done.
One problem we have is that in 1st and 2nd when you open the throttle hard is misses and backfires, you can accelerate slowly and the 3rd and 4th it goes hard, its just first gear you have to be careful to not push to far. It seems to still have power as I drove it last night and in 1st I wound it out to about 3500 rpm then opened the throttle slightly to be greeted with wheelspin and then missing and backfiring.

What I wanted to know, as I’m blaming the dizzy for the missing, is if anyone has swapped the dizzy and coil from the bpt with the last model combined unit that came in the 97 astina. The plugs also got swapped with some splitfire plugs with the four electrodes, these are gapped for an NA bp so do the gaps have to be different for the turbo?
obzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
GTXWGN

Car: tree two tree
Send a message via MSN to GTXWGN
check the fuel pump is decent enuff...it might be running outta fuel under load in 2nd etc..

also did u set the timing using a timing light?
Old 27-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
Did you end up sorting this out ???
Old 28-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
obzelite

yep, turned out to be the wastegate not opening, unlimited boost and the computer would shut the show down.

Now have a larger problem, and probably a good lesson for others.
Change the timing chain before you put a new motor in, damn thing chewed some teeth off and bent some valves, fairly lucky it was at idle when it went, not much damage done. Just need 4 new exhaust valves, but still a major pain.
Old 28-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
thats tuff luck dude! hope it all gets sorted out soon!

i thought the bp was non-interfearence ... ie the valves and pistons cant touch? i must have been wrong!

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzelite
Change the timing chain before you put a new motor in, damn thing chewed some teeth off and bent some valves, fairly lucky it was at idle when it went, not much damage done. Just need 4 new exhaust valves, but still a major pain.
This is not possible from a broken timing belt. Expecially at idle. The BPT's are a non-interference engine....meaning at no time will the piston and valves impact.

The only way you'll get impact is if the rod bolts have come loose and extented the stroke of the piston.
Old 29-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
obzelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
This is not possible from a broken timing belt. Expecially at idle. The BPT's are a non-interference engine....meaning at no time will the piston and valves impact.

The only way you'll get impact is if the rod bolts have come loose and extented the stroke of the piston.
Much as i would love to believe you, pistons have distinct marks on the inside the cut outs and exhaust valves of cylinders 2 & 3 are bent. Pistons aren’t loose and don’t protrude above the block. I guess if it is the case they are non interference then there is the possibility the cams may have been changed and could have a higher lift.
Old 29-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
watson! get my maginifing glass! we have a mystery that needs solving!

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
watson! get my maginifing glass! we have a mystery that needs solving!
He would've got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids

Seriosly though you are better off using the external coil dizzy. It's one of those heat related issues.

Last edited by Cosmo Dude; 29-05-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Cosmo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzelite
Much as i would love to believe you, pistons have distinct marks on the inside the cut outs and exhaust valves of cylinders 2 & 3 are bent. Pistons aren’t loose and don’t protrude above the block. I guess if it is the case they are non interference then there is the possibility the cams may have been changed and could have a higher lift.
Yeah Aftermarket cams are another possibility...have they been changed though??

But yeah, no need to believe me, it's in the manual, they are a non-intererence engine in standard head/block form.
Old 30-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
deruss

Car: 1994 BA Astina 1.8
I'm a bit confused. is there different types of dizzy for bp and bpt?

I was hoping to use the dizzy off my early model BA on the bpt I just picked up. Is this not a good idea?

Please excuse my ignorance in this...
deruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
GTX dizzy has 5 holes on the cap and uses an external coil, Astina has 4 holes in the cap and has the coil built into the wiring. If you are putting in a GTX motor I would
keep the GTX dizzy as you were going to use that ECU.