Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Your Rides/Project Worklog

Old 23-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Cosmo's Project 929

After much looking and thinking I bought myself an HD 929 (also known in some parts as Sentia). It was built in December 1993 and has leather seats but does not have the sunroof.
I knew it would need some work due to its age and I wasn't wrong. The window tint was faded and peeling so I had it replaced and the drivers seat had one panel split and another had gone hard so I've been to the trimmers and had the seat fixed (still need to fix the electrics as the rear doesn't go up and down). The climate control has problems but I've traced that down to the sensor that sits on the heater core either not working or misplaced. There is also a little body work that needs attention, most of it should be able to be done by paintless dent removal.
I noticed that on start up there was some smoke and thought that it was valve stem seals so I took it to the mechanic and that's where things became interesting... We looked at the air cleaner and it had a patch soaked through with oil and discovered that the breather from the top of the engine was blowing oil into the intake pipe and when I parked the oil would settle to the bottom and be sucked through the engine...POOF smoke
We did a compression test and found 200, 200, 200, 200, 190, 200 so it wasn't leaking compression and all the spark plugs looked identical however two of the plug wells were full of oil.
Next the inlet manifold and valve covers (rocket covers ;P ) to find that someone decided to use $20 worth of silicon to try to seal old rubber instead of spending $30 on new rubber... I hate cheap mechanics. and that the valve cover bolt on the front had been over torqued and broken the mount which just happened to be part of the bridge that holds down the inlet cam (a part that is paired to the head and can't be replaced without rebuilding head and machining the cam seats. This was causing a substantial oil leak into the cam belt area so we pulled the front covers off and found under the oil that the welsh plugs were starting to leak coolant. At this point I decided that this engine has seen its last days. I found a replacement with a warranty for $900.
The replacement engine was all well and good until we tried to start it. It would start when using aerostart but wouldn't run. Turns out that five of the injectors were blocked, now they have all been cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner and are running as god as new.

it's not over I haven't mentioned the suspension...

The car handled really well except for some slop in the steering and one warn bearing. The HD doesn't have bushings it has sealed bearings and no one makes replacements. It took three weeks of chasing down to find that they just can't be replaced. I even tried getting a bearing and custom fitting it. The bearing shop, after being told that I've been unable to find a replacement and I am now looking for a custom solution said 'Have you tried Repco?' I almost reached over the counter and thumped the retarded ****.
I asked my local Mazda dealer to look up the part number and I found some overseas and I am now waiting for them to arrive.

Well that's enough for now. Updates to come
Old 26-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
bjk
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SE20 Protege; 6A13tt FTO
Sounds like you're in for an adventure and a half! And I thought aftermarket support for the FTO was bad. Have also been tempted (but not seriously, mind) by a couple of the 929s I've seen on carsales in idle searches, but due to the rarity probably wouldn't be a suitable daily!
bjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
PICTURES !!!!

I actually really like these cars but hard to find normal parts and aftermarket parts or even find that car in decent condition now, i remember about 7 years ago i was so close to buy one that had a flairkit on it with some decent wheels.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Pics will come when I get vic rego.
New engine is in and running sweet as a nut.
New upper suspension arms are in as are the caster bushes (must find some OEM units, encapsulated bearings are better than aftermarket nolathane replacements).
The rack ends (front) are different each side although they are the same length. Luckily the aftermarket units can be used either side.
Found a place in Brisbane called PowerWin.com who recondition and repair window regulators so I can finally fix the back window. Only took a month of looking and false leads AAAHHHHHH
I have a set of Bilstein coilovers coming from JDM land. Bilstein may be expensive but they can be rebuilt so in another 20 years I don't have to search for new shocks.
Oh and I've ordered a set of plates. ENV929. Period correct and has 929 in them.
Old 30-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Ah, awesome news on the window reg!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Oh **** yeah.
You can't imagine how many people, thinking they are being helpful, suggest the most obvious place.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Picture time.
It had just rained and I wasn't in a position to chamois it dry.

Front on

R/F side

Side on

Another pic

The dash

Repaired seat. Front and both sides replaced (the clean looking bits).

The customary under bonnet pic.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
I sent the window reg to Brisbane to be rebuilt today. Hopefully it will be back in a couple of weeks.
By then the left rack end should be here from Mazda Japan and it will be ready for roadworthy and registration. Left and right rack ends are different thanks to the 4WS setup.
Old 13-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Update time,
New engine in and purring like a kitten.
Upper suspension arms in as well as one rack end (other one on a slow boat from Japan) however the handling is much better.
Drivers seat upholstery is fixed however the electric seat controls are busted so I can't adjust the back rest. Chasing up a replacement which will probably come with an entire seat.
Window tint replaced.
Had an immobilizer fitted so now I have remote locking (apparently wasn't an AUDM option until 1995.
Custom number plates arrived.
Battery tied down.
Need to go to pick a part and grab a spare tire hold down plate and bolt and get the steering rack sorted and it will be rego time.
Old 27-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Had the other rack end installed today and booed in for roadworthy next week.
Found out why it took so long to get here... Mazda had to make it
Old 27-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Thats good news !
Good luck for roadworthy and hopefully it all gos well.
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
paulmac

Car: Astina BJ auto
wow Cosmo, that's dedication. How's progress to now going?

Last edited by paulmac; 06-01-2016 at 05:33 PM.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

About as month ago the trans blew and now it has a low KM import trans as the original one melted one of the drums to the housing.
I booked in to have the heater flushed again and then a week later the A/C stopped. That was done yesterday and now the A/C has a new belt and I have a working heater.
Next I may put the coil overs on and put some MS-02 rims on before getting the body fixed and looking for MORE POWER.