Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Seriously,
Warm the engine up
Lift the hood
Pull each spark plug out in turn
Shine a torch down each plug well
Look for water
If you see water put a rag in there and soak it up before checking the next one. Leave the plug leads unplugged over-night and check again the next day.

This is all simple stuff that you don't have to pay a mechanic to do.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Advv

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BA
I called up the respray guy. He said that they use a lot of water in the process so he's not too surprised that some got into the engine. He told me to bring it to him on Friday and he'll help me out with it. He also apologised. Thanks for that Cosmo. If he doesn't check the sparkplugs himself on Friday then I'll follow your instructions and do it myself.

Cheers mate.
Advv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

I don't understand why you would create this thread and ignore all of the advice that people have given you in good faith.
Take control, take ownership, stop sitting on your hands...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #24
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
lol let him pay to do it who cares...
if he was smart, hed go to a petrol station (assuming from the question that he doesnt have a air compressor) and go to the tyre pump, pop the hood, unplug the leads and blow air down each well to blast the moisture out... but no pay the guy and suffer..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #25
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
lol let him pay to do it who cares...
if he was smart, hed go to a petrol station (assuming from the question that he doesnt have a air compressor) and go to the tyre pump, pop the hood, unplug the leads and blow air down each well to blast the moisture out... but no pay the guy and suffer..
I don't give a rats bum with people paying for simple repairs they could do themselves without tools etc... I have a problem with folk who ask for advice and then blatently ignore even the most simple advice.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
same thing happened to me when i got my car front end sprayed. i had so much water in my no.1 spark plug chamber, that the whole plug was under water.

parked in in the sun, lifted the bonnet, pulled the leads out and let it evapourate away.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #27
Advv

Car: Mazda 323 Astina BA
I don't mean to be rude but to be honest, I don't really know what the sparkplugs really are. That's part of the reason why I don't want to do any of these things. Kinda scared I'll **** something up. I've taken the advice in here and talked to the mechanic about it. That's why I started this thread. So yeah, sorry if I've offended you by not taking your advice Cosmo but this thread has helped me figure out the problem. And yeah, I'm definitely not paying the respray guy to do this for me. I'm taking the car to him so he can fix the problem he caused rather than wasting my time doing what he should be doing.
Advv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #28
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
If you don't know what something is you should make some effort to understand it.

If you have a 1.8L engine, the plugs are easy enough to find/see. Pop the bonnet, you will see 4 black plugs on the top of the engine with cables leading across to a black cap on the right hand side, front corner of the engine. These are the leads that go from the spark plugs (covered by the rubber caps on the end of the leads) and the distributor, which is mounted on the end of the cam (its the round object that the leads go to)

If you take hold of the top of a lead on the engine and give it a pull (may have to wriggle a little) you'll pull it up off the spark plug. Don't do this while the car is running. Look down the hole that the lead went down, the pointed object at the bottom is the spark plug. This is where the water ends up sitting and needs to be blown/dried out from. To replace lead push it down firmly over the spark plug so its seated properly.

Its quite simple and takes no effort. Allowing the car to dry in the sun after pulling the leads out would fix it, at worst use a hairdyer/heat gun to dry them out.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote