Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 22-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
jono66

Car: HSV XU6
Question SP20 engine swap

Hi guys a mate of mine purchased a 2001 SP20 complete car which is manual. He owns a 2003 astina with a 1.8 manual in it. We have changed all the back suspension to fit the 5 stud hubs and i know the drive shaft splines are different in the front (will changed those when motor goes in). Just wanting to know if the ecu from the sp will plug into the 1.8 loom inside or are the looms different. If different do u have to changed the whole loom in the car or just the loom for the engine. Are the keys coded and do u have to changed ignitions, wat about the bcm etc. Any info on things that need to be changed or modded would be very helpful as is my first time playing with a mazda and i want to get this rite for my mate
jono66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 22-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
TheMAN

Car: .
it's all different, you have to change everything
Old 22-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
jono66

Car: HSV XU6
ok cheers mate i was hoping that we wouldnt have to but if thats the go then let the games begin
jono66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
See this is why facebook sucks. If people didnt use it post this stuff up jono would have had his answer
Old 23-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
ben carney

Car: 02, bj2 j48
I think jono's doing kyles car! Good luck man, from what has been said extremely difficult! :/
Old 24-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
sell 1.8, buy sp20 is the cheapest way to do it...
Old 24-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
TheMAN

might not be cheapest, but certainly easiest
all that for some extra nicer things in and out and a few measly HP increase... so not worth it
Old 24-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
TBH a FP-DE to FS-DE swap is not worth the time and effort unless you are unemployed and have both cars for free.
I looked into the FS-DE swap when I killed my FP-DE and could not justify the cost for the measly power increase.
Henceforth me now having a MSF FS-ZE.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
TheMAN

the meagre power increase definitely couldn't be justified due to the fact that you either have to swap all of the wire looms to be able to run the FS-DE ECU or you need a standalone or piggy back tuner to get the FS-DE to run properly

the FS-ZE swap is better because the FS-ZE ECU is nearly plug and play to the 1.8 loom
Old 20-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Jerry Maine

Car: SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
the meagre power increase definitely couldn't be justified due to the fact that you either have to swap all of the wire looms to be able to run the FS-DE ECU or you need a standalone or piggy back tuner to get the FS-DE to run properly

the FS-ZE swap is better because the FS-ZE ECU is nearly plug and play to the 1.8 loom
Ive Ben reading up a bit about this lately and am thinking about importing a fsze in the near future, just wondering what tuners would you recommend for the an sp20 conversion to fsze, and conversely what else would you need to do to make the 1.8 ecu work properly with an fsze? Do we use the same ecu in the 1.8 as usdm?

My sp20 is high km's so I am thinking of acquiring another motor for it at some stage and importing the fsze and the ecu seems easy enough but the loom is near impossible to find. I'm also thinking of importing all my interior, aero kit, wheels and a few other goodies from the bj1 I have in Japan, citing it to a local bj1 with a 1.8 and doing the engine swap in that. Might even do both.:-)

Cheers
Jerry Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maine View Post
Ive Ben reading up a bit about this lately and am thinking about importing a fsze in the near future, just wondering what tuners would you recommend for the an sp20 conversion to fsze, and conversely what else would you need to do to make the 1.8 ecu work properly with an fsze? Do we use the same ecu in the 1.8 as usdm?

My sp20 is high km's so I am thinking of acquiring another motor for it at some stage and importing the fsze and the ecu seems easy enough but the loom is near impossible to find. I'm also thinking of importing all my interior, aero kit, wheels and a few other goodies from the bj1 I have in Japan, citing it to a local bj1 with a 1.8 and doing the engine swap in that. Might even do both.:-)

Cheers
- Dont need a tuner. Unless you get an aftermarket ECU.
- Depends on what else you do. Are you going to swap to g series box as well?
- Different ECU to US guys.
- 1.8 Harness is pretty similiar to the FS-ZE. At least in comparison to the SP20
Old 20-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
Jerry Maine

Sorry, the sp20 I have is an auto, I believe that would work in my favor and be a direct bolt-on but correct me if I'm wrong.

If the intention was to put an aftermarket chip in the sp20 anyway, which I've read is one of the more cost effective upgrades, then would there be any advantage in sourcing and installing either an fsze or the fpde harness? I'm guessing no and the only advantage would be not having to drop the coin on a new ecu.
Old 21-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
a FS-ZE runs perfectly on the 1.8 FP-DE ECU and loom, with the FP injectors and AFM, have been running this on Ben Carney's car for the past 6 months, not one problem I've checked the plugs a number of times and there spot on with mixture, and if anything I think the ZE makes more power on the 1.8 FP ECU then it does on the 2lt FS ECU.

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Jerry Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
a FS-ZE runs perfectly on the 1.8 FP-DE ECU and loom, with the FP injectors and AFM, have been running this on Ben Carney's car for the past 6 months, not one problem I've checked the plugs a number of times and there spot on with mixture, and if anything I think the ZE makes more power on the 1.8 FP ECU then it does on the 2lt FS ECU.

Cheers, that's awesome, basically allows me to import my aero kit, recaro interior and a few other goodies off my 1.5 bj1 in Japan, plus a fsze, grab a fp bj1 here and go nuts.

Last edited by Jerry Maine; 22-09-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 21-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIGHIE View Post
awesome, that's what I have been wondering.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Jerry Maine

Continuing this for a bit, is the auto box in the standard bpde astina a direct bolt on? I'd rather an auto because I'm lazy, and the wife will be using it too. I know the fsze was an auto option only in Japan, just not sure if it's the same box.

Reason I'm asking a lot of questions is my wife is Japanese and is going back there in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to get a few things done, maybe grab the a aero kit, recaro seats and some other bits and pieces out of my familia and import them back here, doing the sums it's probably worth it if I'm to sell the sp20, get a 1.8 astina and drop an fsze into it.

Last edited by Jerry Maine; 24-09-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammar