Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

View Poll Results: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN TURBOING THEIR 1.8 BJ 323
I am very interested 14 48.28%
I am sort of interested 3 10.34%
I would be interested but it is a very expensive way to boost the performance of my car 6 20.69%
I would be interested but am concerned about what it might do to engine or gear box 2 6.90%
I would be interested but i think buying a sports car in the first place is a better option 3 10.34%
I would be interested but i dont think the car would be drivable or be as quick as i want it to be 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #41
bpt-4w

well i'm moving to sydney soon i guess we can do a bulk buy of the tyres (i hear in groups of 10 ) that we use , since i have awd i usually do the sides of the tyre out going round corners to fast, though i have gotten to the point of drifting the gtr, just has to be fairly wet to do it though.
bpt-4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 10:39 AM   #42
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
put it this way when i 1st got my ps i went through tyres very quickly smashing them throught corners and roundabouts and spinning it of the mark all the time when i sold my blue car with 28000 kays i had 4 sets on tyres on it since new. Im alot better now but i hope to see 15-25 thousand kays out of the tyres when its turboed.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #43
bpt-4w

yeah i get about 25000 on mine now that i have a set of slicks for the race track instead of going out on the roadies.
Old 29-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #44
tidy protege

Thats what i want to hear

So what have you done to you GTR tell us a bit about yourself and your car.

My name is craig, im 18, i live in near newcastle im currently a student completing my diploma of business. My car is a silver 03 323 protege manual 1.8, at this point i havent done much i currently have a set of 16" adrenalins which i plan to change shortly, i have a couple of factory options like the foglighs and the spoiler, i have king LOW's in it currentyl but will be putting superlows on it later i also have a decent stereo setup which wont need much changing.

My future plans are to turbo my car, have a custom interior job done and boost install, i also plan to beef up the current suspension and brake package.
Old 31-10-2004, 05:36 PM   #45
DCSR

Car: 2001 Laser
Send a message via MSN to DCSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidy protege
common people post your plans the only way we can help you is if you let us help you if we all pool our contacts and knowledge and we will all benifit.

I personally am aiming about 135 kw atw, how i plan to it at this stage is buy a either a Street Dreams kit or the American HiBoost Kit, fit a 2.5' exhaust and a Heavy Duty Clutch (not sure what brand yet) All of which i want done for less than 8500 but 9000 at the max including EVERYTHING

After that i want to do the interior (custom grey and black leather) the exterior im getting new wheels (probably the mx5 se wheels) and the list goes on
Here are my plans:

What should aim for first? (in your opinion)

What alternatives can you offer?

17x7 wheels:
HR Racing 125's in gold.
Advanti Kronik in Chrome.
Advanti Stalker in Chrome.
(i like all 3 and am finding it hard to choose)

Brake upgrade.

King Springs.

Strut Brace.

Rear Sway Bar.

Suspension Package.

Exhaust.

CAI - front guard setup with sexy piping and ram pod filter.

Interior

Forced induction of some description (considering Supercharged).

Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives are more than welcome.

Dave
Old 31-10-2004, 06:22 PM   #46
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Supercharging sounds great, but unfortunately for our cars you need to lose the powersteering and or Airconditioning to make it work. Don't ask me why this is so, many people much smarter than myself have tried to do it with these and there is an issue I don't recall...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 09:57 AM   #47
bpt-4w

im currently in brisbane , i'm 33 and was a mechanic for 10yrs, i do computers now and am looking to make something that will scare a gtr skyline .

done already

600hp bosch intank fuel pump (whirrrr with attitude)
malpassi rising rate fuel reg
nitrided knife edged crank
wisco forged pistons (ca 18's ) with hpc coatings
balanced and blue printed
polished ports
microtech ltx8
e-boost

plans for the future

protege head transplant
oversize valves
heavy duty valve springs
solid lifter kit
titanium retainers
serious porting and polishing
custom exhaust manifold
gt30 (around 500hp)
nos (100 shot )
dual staged fuel injection (8 injectors)
5 puck ceramic with centre spring (best of both worlds)
pfiztner straight cut gear set with cryotreatment
large bearing mod for gearbox
dms coilover suspension
3 inch or so titanium exhaust system
light weight wheels (prefer volks)
carbon fibre flip front
flares
if i get more money i will go to autronic computer (lotto ticket is in)
roll cage (if i go fast enough)
and if lucky enough a parachute

i'm hoping for around 500hp and tens
Old 01-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #48
tidy protege

thats crazy man good luck id like to see a little mazda blow off a supra or skyline.

Its amazing how latley there seems to be a few familias starting to surface early this year i was looking out for them in newcastle and never saw any now there are a few out there.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #49
bpt-4w

well i'm moving to sydney soon so you might see me zip by with a few hundred cops after me , all waving yellow tickets, shouting stop stop we want to be your friend
Old 01-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #50
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpt-4w
well i'm moving to sydney soon so you might see me zip by with a few hundred cops after me , all waving yellow tickets, shouting stop stop we want to be your friend
or we will see your car on the back of a towie when they impound it
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #51
bpt-4w

hey good chance they will , but i try to stay in the adr's , i bend em now and then but never to far , like my tinting on my car is technically legal with the tint on the edge of legality but people are unable to see in with both windows up (which is not legal),so i will get done for it i guess.

general rule of pull over
1. know your rights
2. know exactly what has been done to your car (legal or not)
3. don't give crap to the officer or he will get ****ty and do you for anything he finds.
4. if caught take it on the chin and get over it , repair replace or hide whatever was found wrong and take the risk of the same guy pulling you over again (they usually send the same guys to the same area).
5. if its really serious never ever run , it will come back to you worse later on if you do.

not turning into a police bashing post just saying it how it is.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:08 PM   #52
JynX

Send a message via ICQ to JynX Send a message via MSN to JynX
They actually test window tinting as part of the NSW pink slip now. Bit gay unless you know the mechanic

I know how it is, was more poking for a bit of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpt-4w
hey good chance they will , but i try to stay in the adr's , i bend em now and then but never to far , like my tinting on my car is technically legal with the tint on the edge of legality but people are unable to see in with both windows up (which is not legal),so i will get done for it i guess.

general rule of pull over
1. know your rights
2. know exactly what has been done to your car (legal or not)
3. don't give crap to the officer or he will get ****ty and do you for anything he finds.
4. if caught take it on the chin and get over it , repair replace or hide whatever was found wrong and take the risk of the same guy pulling you over again (they usually send the same guys to the same area).
5. if its really serious never ever run , it will come back to you worse later on if you do.

not turning into a police bashing post just saying it how it is.
JynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #53
bpt-4w

aw crap i will have to pull the tint off and get it done again. anyway we are off topic .

i want a big turbo and i want to go fast and i want it to go pssst when ever i change gears ;0
Old 01-11-2004, 07:26 PM   #54
anaerobic_animal

that psst you want will definately get you a yellow sticker these days!
anaerobic_animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:35 PM   #55
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
If you PSSST into your air cleaner and are under the db level then you're right. Most turbos have BOV.
Word of caution Plod isn't an engineer and if he/she sees a BOV then you're probably gonna get a defect anyway :x
Old 01-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #56
sacah

Send a message via MSN to sacah
I want a sneeze maker too...
sacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:16 AM   #57
bpt-4w

i don't know if they found this under the bonnet it might blind them and they won't be able to see the blow off valve

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...ge=1&pp=20
Old 03-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #58
tidy protege

When i drive past people i want them to go WTF

I really want the blow of valve, at first i thought id go sleeper, but now im liking the idea of crusing past people on the foreshore and going PSSST, i cant wait to see their faces when they hear that noise come from my car.

I want to be one of those cars that eveyone talks about and evnies,i want to drive past the Heavy Weights in their Skylines and Supras and have them saying thats cool,

I want to drive past the individual people in there wild and wacky cars and have them saying i would never have thought about doing up one of them.

Im tied of being the one who envies the Heavy Weights in newcastle, i want to be the one making the Heavy Weights take a first look, a second look and a third glance.

Us 323 owners have the opportunity to start a trend, im seeing more and more done up 323's but it would be great to drive down to the foreshore and see more. All too often we are down there and we see the sweet club of supras cruise past and every one is like thats cool, I WANT THAT TO BE US.

For this reason i want you guys to seriously consider turboing your cars or doing something big with them, like alot of you i went throught the phase of thinking why bother its just a 323 i have been told the same by my mates i have heard them say why bother "its a grampa mobile" and i reply firstly its not and secondly its something different unlike all the lancers and hondas out there.

You can tell me to shut up but before looking at buying something else like a Subaru, Nissan or Honda SERIOUSLY CONSIDER PLAYING WITH WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE, YOU ALREADY HAVE A GOOD CAMBIS WHY NOT PAINT ON IT!!!!!!

Sorry to get all serious but as i said dont look past doing up your 323 because if you do it would be a big mistake, Trust me the WIREDONE's, ODD12C's and TDK's of this world get more looks and respect than the joe smoe driving his R33 Skyline or WRX.

At the end of the day all we want is to drive a car that we enjoy driving our cars have so much character.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #59
bpt-4w

umm we wouldn't be on this site if we were not going to do something with our cars already , even if its getting advice on how to hang fuzzy dice , unfortunately most people with the 323 ect bought them because they didn't have money or the others were not practical , thus that means most people will not do up there car (most cars or they would be everywhere) and it is the exceptional few who go the distance and make something that stands out of the crowd and says hey look at me , in the end all we can do is encourage others and help with advice from our own stuff ups. :wink:
Old 03-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #60
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hey guys,

I've always looked at the SP20 with admiration since it's realease and thought it has timeless looks that won't date. But when I bought my car I wasn't in the mind for doing it up at that stage of my life and settled on saving a few $$$ and bought the 1.8. Many people (some from this forum) have questioned me on WTF would I now turn my 1.8 into an SP20? Well, I'M NOT!
The SP18 project is something that I wanted to renew my passion for cars. It has been 10 years since my first car that I used to play with all the time in the garage. The idea of the SP18 is to utililise the beautiful Mazda bodykit while making an auto 1.8 that will out perform a manual SP20.
Originally I was looking at going NA mainly due to the outright cost of a ridgey didge turbo, some $10,000. But after sniffing around and talking to people about the pros and cons of each alternative, I came to the decision that turbo would be way to best suit my goals $ for $.
Hopefully this Poll will reveal enough 1.8 enthusiasts over the coming months to make a group buy possible so that we can all have the pleasure of pssst. I love my car, I prefer it's looks and feel to many other cars, and yes if we spent more $$$ we could be driving friggin' Skylines and Supras like everyone else. But I'm a big guy with a small wallet and personally am not attracted to sports coupes like these anyway. So if we can all combine our ideas to find a working stable affordable solution for the BJ 1.8, I think we can all have fun while maintaining a small but wonderful niché in the performance community...

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote