Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

View Poll Results: HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN TURBOING THEIR 1.8 BJ 323
I am very interested 14 48.28%
I am sort of interested 3 10.34%
I would be interested but it is a very expensive way to boost the performance of my car 6 20.69%
I would be interested but am concerned about what it might do to engine or gear box 2 6.90%
I would be interested but i think buying a sports car in the first place is a better option 3 10.34%
I would be interested but i dont think the car would be drivable or be as quick as i want it to be 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #121
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hi guys,

I've been swapping emails with Lentech over the last week trying to come up with the cheapest most effetive way to strengthen the auto. Here's the results:

Street Terminator valvebodies $329usd (with new pistons)
Street Terminator torque convertor $589usd (selectable stall)
Street Terminator overhall kit $438usd (ouch!)
Total package $1356usd
No advice on shipping or group discount as yet...

The valvebodies and torque convertor are criticial for 5psi and up from what I am told. Apparently you can go a while without the overhall kit. But it is highly recommend to get the overhaul done as it replaces the smaller components like rings/discs and belts with stronger units.
This package will allow the auto to withstand 275whp, which is well beyond the 180whp most of us are chasing. Something to think about sine I'm told the autos run quicker 1/4s over 200whp if that's what your after...

Now those who think the auto idea is gay, why not do some phoning, driving or emailing around and come back with other ideas, like costs for a manual swap? It's not fair if just Tidy and I are doing all the legwork to make the group buy work. I'm waiting to hear back on some custom turbo kit builders, but they're not exactly quick to reply it seems...

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #122
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
doug did bora have the sheet metal manifold or the cast iron one?
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 11:51 PM   #123
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
i must once again say it may be just better to use the auto till it goes and do a manual conversion...
$1395US is more than the price of forged internals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Hi guys,

I've been swapping emails with Lentech over the last week trying to come up with the cheapest most effetive way to strengthen the auto. Here's the results:

Street Terminator valvebodies $329usd (with new pistons)
Street Terminator torque convertor $589usd (selectable stall)
Street Terminator overhall kit $438usd (ouch!)
Total package $1356usd
No advice on shipping or group discount as yet...

The valvebodies and torque convertor are criticial for 5psi and up from what I am told. Apparently you can go a while without the overhall kit. But it is highly recommend to get the overhaul done as it replaces the smaller components like rings/discs and belts with stronger units.
This package will allow the auto to withstand 275whp, which is well beyond the 180whp most of us are chasing. Something to think about sine I'm told the autos run quicker 1/4s over 200whp if that's what your after...

Now those who think the auto idea is gay, why not do some phoning, driving or emailing around and come back with other ideas, like costs for a manual swap? It's not fair if just Tidy and I are doing all the legwork to make the group buy work. I'm waiting to hear back on some custom turbo kit builders, but they're not exactly quick to reply it seems...

Cheers,
Gav.
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 10:19 PM   #124
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredone
i must once again say it may be just better to use the auto till it goes and do a manual conversion...
$1395US is more than the price of forged internals...
Thay may just happen, although since there r 3 different directions I can take I have no idea what I will end up doing.

But I can tell you something, there has been no response towards a group buy from the major players in the bolt-on turbo kits. This means some have started thinking about going custom. If they do go custom, hopefully a new standard bolt-on kit will be born of it to undercut the price those on the market now.
People need to know what this project is going to cost them, and they do know that custom is by far cheaper. The quality of the bolt-ons is not in question, but we need some sign they are interested in our business before this thread comes to a crashing holt and people go their own way...
Personally it would've been wonderfull to have over half a dozen people participate in a common goal that we could use to combine our research for a better product. I guess Australia is not ready for that, and I can't see when we ever will be when the single largest source of 323 enthusiasts can't get on the bandwagon.

See you guys on the other side of 120kW atw,
Gav.
Old 16-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #125
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Personally it would've been wonderfull to have over half a dozen people participate in a common goal that we could use to combine our research for a better product. I guess Australia is not ready for that, and I can't see when we ever will be when the single largest source of 323 enthusiasts can't get on the bandwagon.

See you guys on the other side of 120kW atw,
Gav.
The other problem is I expect there are too many of us with BJ's who are still covered by warranty and don't want to break it. I know I definately am and I expect there are quite a few others there. I've probably got close to one of the last sp20's sold in Australia (just getting close to 1 year old) And I know that in 1-1/2 to 2 years time I'll definately be looking at a turbo upgrade. But for the moment I'm going the safer way and trying not to end up with a heavy/expensive driveway decoration.

- Chris

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 08:54 AM   #126
chicaboo

Hi Chris,

You are absolutely right, and it's not something that's been directly mentioned yet. This is however why the turbo install wasn't scheduled until late next year. This would cover the 2001-2002 models atleast. But in the meantime we wanted to have the whole thing very well researched and have a crew of people ready to commit for a group buy.

Has the package arrived yet?
Gav.
Old 16-11-2004, 08:59 AM   #127
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
I got the package last night installed in 10 minutes! woowoo! Excellent stuff! I'm not sure if its an illusion but the design does seem stick out more than the OE. but I'm not complaining i'm happy. will post pics as soon as I buy a new card reader for my digital camera...

With the turbo's, I doubt that many people will be interested in putting their hand up to say they will definately be happy to spend the money in 1 years time.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #128
sacah

Send a message via MSN to sacah
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88722
Interseting read, about Quality of HiBoost...

My little cars 11 months old now, I figure it will be nearly 2 years by next year, and I'll be 21, so I am interested in turboing it, but money(1 year is a long time to remain focuses (-: ) and voiding an additional 1-3 years warrenty will have to be decided as it gets closer...
sacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #129
chicaboo

Thanks Sacah,

I'm not impressed that precautions aren't taken to prevent the plumbing from getting dented during transport. Mandrel bend scratches can't be avoided though I guess?
Hey wiredone, does SD plan on using their own plumbing or will they import the new stuff HB has done for the last couple months?

Gav.
Old 16-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #130
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20 BJII Hatch
Guys, I will be doing my conversion in Jan/Feb out here in Syd. So I am not sure what do right now, but working on it. If I do find something usefull I will post that too.
preeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #131
TDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
doug did bora have the sheet metal manifold or the cast iron one?
The Spool kit was good IF you wanted to keep it at very low boost levels and didn't mind about the build quality. At the time I got my kit I hadn't met Doug (Wiredone) yet. So I went for the Spool kit because it was cheaper than the Hiboost kit. And let me tell you that Doug was correct when he said that it cost me double.

When I decided to do the turbo conversion I only wanted to keep it at about 4psi of boost, hence there was no need for the kit with the intercooler. But once I had the kit down here we started to have problems with it. Anyway, we ended up only using the manifold, turbo and wastegate from the original kit. Everything else was custom made here.

After getting the kit with the hope of only ever running 4psi, the greed set in. I wanted more power. When I got it I wanted more. After about $15K I am now upto 19psi of boost and 202kw at the wheels. So I am currently very happy with how everything turned out, but it took me double the time and cost me twice as much. But that happens when you are one of the first to attempt something like this, and I am sure Doug agrees with me.
TDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #132
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
From my calcs TDK would have a power to weight ratio similar to a twin turbo Soarer, Champion stuff that. ( actually preferable side of similar )

If anyone happens to stumble across any info on turboing the BA's V6 would love if you sent me a PM. 8)
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:10 PM   #133
sacah

Send a message via MSN to sacah
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89112
Quick read for those interested, not sure how dif it is to ours.
sacah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 02:23 AM   #134
wiredone
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Evo 8
So is anyone still interested in a group buy

Sadly for leasing reasons Street Dreams is no longer open until a decent sized workshop space with a nice lcoation can be found.

Until then as always my name is the one of the distribution agreement with Hiboost so, if anyone is still interested, we can still work something out...
To boost or not to boost - http://www.trafficmesh.com
wiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #135
chicaboo

Hi Doug,

I would say when Street Dreams are ready to support a group buy you could then put up some clear pricing for X, Y and Z, so that people can more easily make a decision.
More cars will be coming out of warranty towards the end of the year, which is good. However since the failing of the group buy to gain any real interest from more than 3 ro 4 parties, people have gone ahead with NA mods which won't lend themselves to a turbo convertion (including myself)...

We will wait and see...
Gav.
Old 18-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #136
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
this thread fell apart im actually about to redirect the money i was going to put into turboeing my car into making it look good. i am chasing the dream of being in Autosalon if this offer still stands in a couple of months with some nice pricing I will be considering it. But only if im sold on it e.g I want a reliable car, that is drivable, insurable and will give me the gains I want. Ideally id love to be boosting with a decent clutch including instalation for less than $8500 which Street Dreams normally charges for the kit alone.

I would like to thank you doug in being part of some affirmative action with more Bj owners boosting. Now id love to see my car putting out about 125 to 130 kw at the wheels on boost levels that arnt going to cause me problems with internals and other parts.

Another thing is there a 4th turboed bj in Aus if so can you tell us about it as maybe we can see what a mild turbo application is like on our cars as both yourself and tdk have hardcore turbo applications which dont give us a realistic indication of what we are buying ourselfs into.
tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #137
preeman80
AstinaGT Regular

Car: SP20 BJII Hatch
I am still interested.. i will have enough money in June!
preeman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #138
chicaboo

That's cool dude, unforunately it's gonna be a tough sell now that the two initiators didn't get enough positive repsonse at the right time when we were trying to allocate our funds towards the turbo kit... I've since spent my money towards an NA setup when the interest stopped on this thread some months ago. At this time, next year I may be looking at an Eaton M45/62 twin-screw or Powerdyn silent drive supercharger? The joy of the supercharger is that I can retain my NA mods with minimal plumbing costs, I can even retain my Injen!

Gav.
Old 20-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #139
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
HiBoost made a kit for a 1.6 i recently found out..... let oyu know more as i find out more
Old 20-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #140
chicaboo

GO THE SP16!!! or is that POS16?