Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
pieee

Car: 323 Sedan BA Hardtop
Oil Oil Oil [56k Warning]

Hey every,

Been a member here for a while but as more of a student reading every post i find interesting.

But now I'm in need of some help, I've been having trouble with an Oil leak or leaks, I'm not quite sure.

I have a few pictures of where oil is just absolutely soaking the lower parts of my engine, the oil in my car has gone to Low at the end of almost every 2 months. I replaced the rocker cover with a rubber seal a couple of days ago and the leak has stopped from around the rocker cover but along the left side of the block there is still quite a bit of oil that is leaking =/

Here are a few pictures I took, hopefully someone will be able to help me out a little so at least I know what I'm dealing with, thanks.

http://img36.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0726y.jpg

Last edited by pieee; 11-10-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Sorry about the warning the images were too big so I will just leave the direct link to the album, thanks again
pieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Clean off all of the old oil before looking for new problems. A few high preasure cleans down at the car lovers should help.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
when cold
degrease the whole engine - make it dry no oil anywhere
let it dry of all water etc

take it for run until thermostat opens run for approx 5 mins

park it look at engine - if you see any shiny oil you found your main leak.

if it's not leaking visible drive normally and look at it every day.

but photos say it's rear main seal - and Power steering rack. standard issues. but it can even be just left over from oil changes etc
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
seing how i hav oil in the same spot, i will go ahead and tell u whats casing myn. sump gasket (or so iv been told) is leaking. next time u change ur oil take the sump of and replace the gasket
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
I gree with rod, from the photos it looks like rear main seal or could be front seal too. (very common after 100k on the engine). Like others said degrease it well and look for the root cause.

The sump gasket is not a single piece. it has 4 parts (two stiffeners and two neoprene gaskets), after instaling those 4parts you apply silicone to oil pan and install it.

Did you apply bit of silicone on the corners (near dissy and cam pullies) when installing the valve cover gasket ? If not small leaks will start to appear after few weeks.
asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
maztech

Car: ......
As cosmo said wash complete motor down then look for the oil leak. Did you put sealant in corners of rocker cover gasket where it goes over cams? The other common place for oil leaks is the dizzy o ring and sump half moon seals ( sumps on the BP motors dont use a gasket they use sealant) the cam seals can also leak as well as the front crankseal ( would do the sump before doing rear main seal) Wash down the rack alot of BAs weep around the rack preload adjuster
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
pieee

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far,

I will hopefully have it cleaned tomorrow to try and find the main leak, as for the sealant I didn't put any I didn't even know I had to, when i opened her up the seal was really thin and crappy looking without any sealant, so I'm guessing the previous owner cheap'd out on it.

Oh and also what type of sealant am I looking for?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

u cant cheap out on it there is only one available new, its from mazda and it costs like $78 or something.. i am pretty sure i used blue gasket gue last time i changed my seal. after that there is no more top end leaks. il b changing the bottom end ones as sooon as my holidays come around
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
maztech

Take cover off again i use red Three-Bond and seal up corners while you got cover off have a look at around cam seal behind pulley and see if it has oil wetness and replace dizzy oring while you are there
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
u cant cheap out on it there is only one available new, its from mazda and it costs like $78 or something.. i am pretty sure i used blue gasket gue last time i changed my seal. after that there is no more top end leaks. il b changing the bottom end ones as sooon as my holidays come around
Other places like probestore.co.uk have them cheaper but I've never done business with them.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
asanga

No need to spend $70 at mazda, You can get a ACL gasket for much cheaper price at Repco. I got mine for $9....(staff discount)

Below is a pic , just apply silicone (any gasket maker or gasket dressing silicone with tepm and oil resistance, I used permatex black) to the shaded locations and tighten the bolts in the order to the same torque in 5 or 6 steps. Dont over tighten them..which will deform the gasket and break the seal.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
yeah i used permatex for the cam cover as well

damn sump gasket is leaking around the crank now
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

ok so i got ripped of.... no suprise there anything with a mazda and part in the name is overpriced...
where should i get a sump gasket kit from/how much am i looking at paying for one??
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
maztech

ACL gaskets are slightly different in size . Funny thing Tony i thought you knew somebody at mazda that could help you out with parts. TCG is expensive i agree but half moon seals are cheap.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

nah only person i know at mazda is zappy, and my friend knows someone there as well but i have no idea who nor do i ask ppl to "hook me up" usualy

oh yeah and i know u

Last edited by 70NYD; 11-10-2009 at 10:04 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Old Grey

Car: Astina BG 1991 - Rx7 S4
Sumps are usually silasticed on and rarely leak.

Factory seals and O-Rings last about 10 years and they start drying out and leak
Front and rear crank seals usually leak so I would look there 1st
Cam seals also.
Dizzy O-ring, my o-ring dried out and the seal for the shaft in the dizzy. It would leak down the engine and look like a sump leak.

Always wash the engine and drive and check and repeat if needed to totally isolate the problem
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
maztech

Yes sumps are 3-Bonded on but they have rubber seals at either end around crankshaft they often are the cause of leaks from low down on the B series motors . Rear mains and front crankseals are not the main cause of leaks ( Yes they do leak to but inspect carefully first)
Old 16-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

i changed all the top seals on myn ages ago. the dizzi one was the 1st one to go, that was easy enough. then tappet cover.. so crank seals or sump... hmmm if it ends up being crank seals i might wait till i have to change the clutch to do those..
Old 16-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
asanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
i changed all the top seals on myn ages ago. the dizzi one was the 1st one to go, that was easy enough. then tappet cover.. so crank seals or sump... hmmm if it ends up being crank seals i might wait till i have to change the clutch to do those..
yep rear main seal when doing the clutch and front seals (cam & crank) when doing the timing belt
Old 18-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
pieee

I had the engine cleaned and it seems that it isnt leaking anymore well not as of yet but it could have just been the old oil
I hope this is the case, thanks for all your help guys if it comes back ill be going through all of the things listed above