View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey06
One question which I had that wasn't answered before the forums went down - would this flywheel (Chromoly/lightweight steel?) need to be machined (like a regular flywheel) or resurfaced (like aluminium ala fidanza flywheels) when changing the clutch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim bob
It depends on a few things.

Basically this flywheel will survive a lot more abuse than any other flywheel out there. Its nitrided and shotpeened. Both increase the surface hardness. You have a nice hard layer on the top that can take some serious abuse. Once you wear through this layer though, you will have to either retreat the flywheel or get a new one.

I've been told you will get a minimum of three machines out of it before you will need to do this.

Whether or not you will have to machine between clutch changes depends on the clutch type and how hard you slip it. I would think with a fibre clutch there is a good chance you won't have to but I cannot say for sure.

These flywheels kick butt over a fidanza for two reasons. PAR concentrate all the weight into the centre of the flywheel instead of the outside. Its about where the weight is as much as how heavy it is.

Also a steel flywheel is always better than aluminium. It is rigid and won't bend and flutter under high clutch loads. It also won't crack or shatter.

these are serious race part for made by a reputable company.

Ok peoples, it's closing this weekend.

Hook into this thread if you're definitely after one.
http://fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=40961

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote