View Single Post
Old 18-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #167
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Swapped all the modded body bits onto the Parts car a few weeks ago, with the aim of working on them, and still being able to drive WRECHT.

...but WRECHT has been sitting without a battery for the last 3 weeks.

The boot off the parts car had a standard wing on it, and it seems the way it's wired creates a massive drain on my car somehow, so i've just been charging the battery.

I have actually done something to the Astina though - i started making the new dash to accommodate the new boost gauge. I was a bit over the old dash - the boost gauge i was never happy with the way it was lit, and the shift light got old pretty fast :laughing:

So, old dash vs stock dash. Basically, the new Defi Racer boost gauge would go on the same position as the old Autometer (LHS pod), the shift light on the RHS would be deleted, and the surround for the Wolf ECU hand controls would be replicated using the work from the old dash. Oh, and filling in the 3rd Hazard/Demister button space again.

There was always a few issues over time with the dash being flexible and body filler being, well, not. The top pods were never a problem, but the Wolf button surround was always a bit of a pain for cracking. So i'm going to make that a bit separate, and also by drilling some holes thru the plastic, hopefully anchor the filler to the base a bit better.

Pod placement: testing angles, and cutting just the right amount of plastic out! I also wired the plastic pod that came with the gauge into the dash for a bit more location while the pod was being fibrebogged into place. The pod is inset to that when the gauge is in place, the gauge is level with the front edge of the dash.

and slathered in fibrebog - body filler reinforced with fibreglass strands, basically

More work to come, but i've been slack with smoothing that off for the past week or so. Soon it'll be done though.

Oh, the end plan for this version of the dash (this is version 3, over the years!) is to have it flocked, so the surface finish doesn't matter too much. It's pretty cheap to have done, and there's a place reasonably locally that does it in the color/finish i want - a short, black flock.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote