View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #80
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Ok, 4 days of a decent work ethic results in:

Masking off the hole to trim the rough raised edges on the hole, and making sure the lip covers the tap so that i don't stuff up the paint outside of where the trim fits, if i can help it. That's the old trim in the pic, which needed replacing due to all the bends and the broken single-use clips on it.

Here's the sunroof unit itself. And the inner roof trim that mounts to the outer trim ring. Once the hole was cut, it was a case of mounting the inner trim in place to make sure the hole was in the right spot (which it is), and then aligning the sunroof unit in place and bolting it into position. It used a couple of the factory bolt holes, so even better. The mounting points for the inner trim were a bit harder, but that was all done before the hole was cut.
The worst part was cleaning off all the old goo off the inner frame - what a pain in the arse! In the end it was easiest to scrape it off with a knife, then go over it with some thinners to get the rest off.

And there's the outer trim and inner glued in with HB Fuller Super Seal which is a black sikaflex-style goo, and then the clips of the outer trim bent over the inner frame, and it's in! There's no pics of all the excess goo i had - but better to have extra and have to clean it off - as then you know the seal is properly made. That stuff cures in about 30 minutes, but takes 7 days to full cure. It's better than Sikaflex, as it doesn't 'eat' into the surfaces you're applying it to, as it uses the moisture in the air to help cure.

I had to retrim the sunshade at this point, as there's no getting that back in once the sunroof unit is mounted. So off came the old material, and on went the new, with a liberal amount of the 3M 77 spray glue to hold it in place. It's good stuff - it doesn't soak through the material i bought at all. This was kind of a test, as it was the first time using the glue. The results were quite pleasing. The trim isn't as purple as the photo makes out, either.

So, the outer and inner trims have had about 24hrs to cure, so the sunroof unit is bolted into place. Just before this, a black rubber seal is reattached to the rear edge of the sunroof.

So with that done, it was on to the drainage pipes for the sunroof. One at each corner of the unit. And no idea where the factory ones run as they're not listed in the workshop manuals, even though the sunroof unit is. Stupid!
But after a bit (a lot) or removing bits of trim, i discovered a couple of bunged-up holes just behind the rear side bolsters that led into the rear wheel arches. So, with a little bending of the holes to point the hoses straight down, the hoses were run from the sunroof unit down the C pillars, and secured with masking tape and Super Seal. You can see where there's a indent for the hose to run in the first pic, in the centre top.

The hose i'm using came from Clark Rubber. All 6m of it! It's petrol-grade, and can withstand up to 80° heat, so should be find for this sort of application. Looks to be the same stuff as the old one, which had discolored to brown but was still quite solid.

Once of the hardest things was to find where the hell the front ones were supposed to go. The indent in the A pillar was there, but once the pillar ends there's no guide at all. So after probably 30 minutes of probing, searching with torches, removing the scuttle panel etc etc, i bit the bullet and pulled off the front guard.

There i finally found the bung for the front. It's a pain to get to, it basically required a flattened 'Z' twist to get it from the inner hole to out of the sill, but it's not crimping the hose at all.

The drivers side even had the right clips to hold the tubing in place - no such luck with the passenger side, which is held with tape and Super Seal

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote