Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 23-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Tapwave Zodiac2 (128MB) vs Gamepark GP2X (64MB)

Hey guys,

I thought I would gauge some opinions on these two PMC/PVP handheld game devices. Both use SD card slots (2 in the Zodiac), both play Xvid, DivX, mp3, mp4, jpg and bmp, ebooks (PDF?), etc..., the GP2X uses Linux OS and the Zodiac uses Palm OS. GP2X uses whatever 2xAA you can throw at it, and the Zodiac has a proprietory battery. Both rely heavily on the SD card slot for data storage, internal memory is more for apps and the OS... Not a whole bunch of DivX can be load onto say a 4GB card, but then lots of misc music, pics and roms can be.

From what I can tell the Zodiac has a much better display, and the usual benefits of being a PDA (Bluetooth, plus potential for GPS, WiFi, etc...). The Zodiac can play dedicated games (not many of them) and some emulator roms... However the GP2X is more limited in functions beyond the multimedia aspect, it's main focus is a gaming console (plays ALL Linux roms) with open source development (I won't be progging). Both use the classic circular kepad+4way+L/R buttons for gaming. The GP2X can run a Windows emulator aswell, but I'm not sure how succesful this is yet?

At the end of the day, the GP2X is more geared to gaming and playing media. It also appeals to the budding software developer too (not me...). The Zodiac seems to be more a fun Palm OS based PDA (with BRILLIANT speakers), and I like that it can do all the usual PDA things, but I would prefer Windows CE/2003SE over Palm OS, but then Microsoft don't natively support DivX, which is very important to me. So in this regard, the Palm OS has an edge, even if it is unfamiliar to me...

I really like the gaming aspect, and then I really like the flexibility of the PDA too. So if the two were combined with a Windowz OS, I would have something I really like. Being that they are not the sort of thing one can check out over the counter before buying, the decision is really tough. So I welcome experience, hearsay, and CONSTRUCTIVE arguements for one or the other.

Gamepark GP2X
Tapwave Zodiac 2

Cheers,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
noonan!
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
woofy

Car: Race Blue RS Octavia hatch, Black Santa Fe Elite
I thought they stopped making gameparks..they were a (sort of) failed handheld system.
woofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
chicaboo

I dunno, Gamepark website still works, but the Tapwave website doesn't work for me, hence the cached link above... The GP2X is very cheap, $275aud to the door, if it arrives in working order, at that price I don't care. I think the Zodiac2 is more like $500? Actually I have a voucher that'll get me a PSP very cheap aswell, that is something else to consider, but proprietry everything!
Old 24-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
chicaboo

So I take there is noone here with techi experience in Linux or Palm OS devices even???
Old 24-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
woofy

I have a PalmOS M505 i love it...i can get heaps more programs for it free than for my wifes MS pocket pc one. Pretty soon PalmOS will be extinct though as they are starting to use MS OS on their new ones. I've been trying to get someone to convert some of my Palm programs to MS...
Old 24-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
In the end it comes down to what your primary use for it will be.

If you do not have a use for the PDA functions then go for the GP2X because it is a freaking bargain.
But if you think you will make use of the PDA options then get the other one.

I don't know much about either but from what you have written they both seem close in terms of multimedia, the only difference is gaming vs PDA functions.

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #8
chicaboo

Thanks for the response guys, the decision has been made easy by the fact that Tapwave have gone belly up (hence website not working). I could buy one cheap with no support, but the cheapest I have seen was $325 on eBay, getting a bit expensive if it fails with no support...

I've resorted to comparing the GP2X to the PSP now, they both get rave reviews off Liksang, and the PSP has more features, although they are limited to Sony a great deal. I really like that I can whack the SD memory card from my camera into the GP2X and review pics on a larger screen, although my mobile is a 2mp Sony, and I could view pics from it on the PSP moreso... Although I would say either console would be mostly for game and movie playing for the most part. But unless there is a way for the PSP to play DivX/Xvid without massive stuffing around converting files, it's quite bothersom...

Gav.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
CHiMPY
mew?

The PSP is pretty limited to the type of games you can play on it though.

Dunno what the GP2X plays but I thought the PSP was limited to PSP games..

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
Old 24-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
chicaboo

The GP2X plays ALL emulator roms written for Linux, that's a lot!!! That's why I love the idea of it so much, if you are a rom fanatic like me, you get to relive your old favourite SNES and Genesis games for nothing, and you can output to the TV via S-video and RCA audio to make it even more authentic... And because Linux is open-source, you can download any compatible program and run it for nothing. It's potential seems far greater than the PSPs, without being restricted by what Sony or Microsoft will allow on a propritory gaming console, ie: DivX, Xvid, PDF, etc...

However I like certain features of the PSP too. It's got far more potential for WiFi, USB, etc... There is a small 4GB HDD for the PSP now, but it costs a bit more than a SD memory card, and can potentially be damaged easily.

Anyhow, I am still researching, but I can get the GP2X for $243 DELIVERED, and the PSP for $338 delivered ($427 with 1GB MS Duo card), possibly cheaper with my bunch of vouchers that I got with my new phone? So even though the GP2X is lacking Bluetooth and WiFi, it's got a significant cost advantage. But I understand that there is a fair few things the PSP can do beyond basic games and UDM movies aswell...

Gav.
Old 24-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
CHiMPY
mew?

When I first heard about the GP2X I almost bought one instantly.

You are making it hard not to go buy one now.

I have thought about a PSP (can get them from work for cheap), but I just can't justify it, I think if I was to buy something like that it would have to be more of a PDA since I have very little use for portable gaming.

The whole UMD movie thing is pretty cool, though I don't know about watching movies on a 5" screen (or however big it is).

Old 24-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Bah.. this is a topic for my gadgets thread when you get it.. doo eeettt

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
chicaboo

I'm now seeing the Zodiac 2 for as low $219usd, so it's back on the cards again! I can get it with a 3month warranty aswell, even though Tapwave have gone arse up... I figure if it has probs, it'll prolly happen in the first few weeks, so it sounds safe at around the money.

The pricing on all these is getting very good, PSP still comes in at the most expensive, and the most unrewarding for the type of use I want it for, except maybe WiFi and Bluetooth... Even though the GP2X is the cheapest and very appealing, I am starting to read about failures with them, which brings makes me think the Zodiac 2 is the best option if nothing goes wrong in the first year...

Gav.

EDIT: Someone has fished Tapwave out of the sea, new website is here: http://tapwavebu.sitesled.com/
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
andrewgrazier

id be careful
with all of them
its not like you can get one hand held device that is gonna do everything for ya.
andrewgrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
chicaboo

Hence the difficult decision! But considering either will cost me under $300 I'm not too fussed if I only get 18months or 2 years out of them, ofcourse I want more, but if something goes wrong, oh whatever I'm used to that...
Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
chicaboo

Ordered the Gamark GP2X last night! Getting the console, international charger, carry case, and S-Video TV-out cable soon. I'm already looking into hacking the USB to run devices not intended for use with it. I've downloaded some open source material already, and I will most likely spend a good day getting to know it when it arrives!

Thanks for the input, had a great time talking to myself...
Gav.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #17
woofy

Is there an echo in here?............here........here.........here.... ...here......
Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #18
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Ducks quacks do echo. It's all a lie!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #19
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
i heard that cammel's farts echo.
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote