Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 28-11-2002, 10:20 PM   #1
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

Car: 2005 SP23 Hatch
Send a message via MSN to MrShadow
[color=#000000ost_uid0]G'Day,
As my signature says, got a Kenwood HU, and while it improved sound a fair bit (esp in the bass area), I'm still getting distortion at fairly low volumes (to be expected with standard speakers, no sub). I don't really want to go sub just yet (can't afford it). So without going sub, what's the best way to improve the SQ, in particular the bass.

I like acid house/dance/techno (usual doof-doof crap), and while with some artists, the bass is incredible (quite surprising given the standard system but still nowhere near a decent sub setup), with others, the distortion is almost unbearable, even at 'modest' volumes. I have a budget of about $500-$600 (not much, I admit), but any help would be greatly appreciated.

GAZ[/colorost_uid0]

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
MrShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 28-11-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Further to the previous post, I was looking at the following:

* Sound deadening (my spelling is sh!t) in the doors
* Upgrade speakers
* Possibly an amp for the speakers and a sub in the (distant)future(not really in the budget though....possibly later)

I don't have any particular brand(s) in mind, but have heard 'bad' reports about Sony's new gear, namely being that "Explo[bost_uid0]D[/bost_uid0]" is about right [/colorost_uid0]

Confuscias say "man who go to sleep with itchy bottom, wake up with smelly finger"
Old 29-11-2002, 06:11 AM   #3
CityEnd

Car: .
[color=#000000ost_uid0]well i have a hardtop too and i replaced the rear 6x9 speakers with aftermarket ones and it made a huge difference.... I'm satisfied with it... but audiophiles say that 6x9 are a poor man's sub.... oh well call me a poor man.. lol

if u have stock speakers and change them to aftermarket it will make a big difference.. but i guess u can't beat an actual sub.... which I'm in the same boat as u.. can't afford 1 yet...

I spent less then $300 on speakers. I was pretty happy with the SQ vs cost. Got infinty 6 x 9 at the back and clarion 5x7 at the front... not so impressed with thet clarions though.. but it's tsill better then stocks anyday[/colorost_uid0]
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 06:32 AM   #4
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Kewl, thanx, I'll look at them at the local audio shop. Have you got model no of the infinity 6x9's?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 29-11-2002, 07:46 AM   #5
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Are the standard speakers in the Hatch and the Hardtop 6x9's?? I thought they were 5x7's??

I wanna upgrade my setup too......I'd want to keep the speakers in the factory positions [that being in the doors for the hatch] for that 'stealth' system setup..

Adam[/colorost_uid0]

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
sik astina

Car: Ba 1.8L Turbo astina
Send a message via MSN to sik astina
[color=#0000FFost_uid5]Hey Adam,

The front speakers are 5x7's. I replaced mine a while back and its so much clearer. The rear door speakers are 6" or 6.5" (not quite sure of the exact size)

-Mick

p.s Remember the topic about the "tweeter" on the top of the dash?? When Leanne got her car we turned on the stereo and discovered it IS a tweeter on the dash. :O Don't know why hers is connected and no-one elses is lol I cant find the wires to mine after I upgraded my stereo :laugh:[/colorost_uid5]
Old 29-11-2002, 09:14 AM   #7
mrpayner

[color=#000000ost_uid0]I might have to take the door trim off in the back and see if i can fit some 5x7's in there......there's something for me to do this weekend!

Come to think of it, i don't think that little speaker works in my car either! There is one in there though! ::

Thanks Mick

Adam[/colorost_uid0]

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
Old 29-11-2002, 10:30 AM   #8
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
[color=#000000ost_uid2]That little speaker worked in my car when i first bought it But when i got my new head unit they disconected it,doesnt matter,its all good [/colorost_uid2]
Old 29-11-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
O-LYM-PIC
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]i got a pair of 300W kenwood 7x10s 3ways (only cost me 200 smakers) on the parcel shelf, just running off the kenwood headunit and im pretty satisfied with this setup at the moment, but i think the next step is some front splits run by an amp and then i think a sub later.
but what i wanted to say was my friend who works for some hi-fi place says they were taught that round speakers work better than the oval ones. i donno how true this really is, but that what he says and he only uses round speakers in his car. ???[/colorost_uid0]

"her name was veronica,
she had an ass the size of south america"
-wyclef
O-LYM-PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #10
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
[color=#000000ost_uid0]yep, the Hardtop gets 6x9's in the metal parcel shelf in the rear. we have the holes in the rear doors for speakers, but don't get any in there[/colorost_uid0]

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2002, 09:00 PM   #11
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]yeh the hardtop has 6x9s in the back shelf. hatch doesnt. hatch has 6" ( 6.5" ?? ) in the back doors instead

both have 5x7s in the front doors.

MrPayner, good luck fitting 5x7s in the back doors, its not even easy fitting 6"s as the screws come out from the rim, rather than on the rim like most aftermarket speakers. ( well , my stock ones were like that anyway :: )[/colorost_uid0]
Old 29-11-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

[color=#000000ost_uid0]So, the recommendation is to replace standard speakers with new ones, kewl. I've heard Infinity, any other suggestions?

[quoteost_uid0]yep, the Hardtop gets 6x9's in the metal parcel shelf in the rear. we have the holes in the rear doors for speakers, but don't get any in there[/quoteost_uid0]

If I ended up getting an amp in the future, I could use 1 channel for the sub (woohoo!!!), and could I use the other(s) to drive another 2 speakers in the rear doors. Is that correct?[/colorost_uid0]

Old 30-11-2002, 12:46 AM   #13
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
[color=#000000ost_uid1]On the 6x9 bit I have been thinking of getting rid of my
thick rear shelf and moving the 6x9's into the back doors
and either having the back parcel shelf bare or adding
some 6" rounds to the standard shelf and having 6 speakers.
Will 6x9's fit in the rear doors and if so how does it sound without having speakers on the parcel shelf ??
Been 5 years I don't remember.

Ta

Mal[/colorost_uid1]
Old 30-11-2002, 12:53 AM   #14
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

[color=#000000ost_uid0][quoteost_uid0]round speakers work better than the oval ones[/quoteost_uid0]

Because of the way a speaker works, oval ones will distort at a much lower volume than round, which is why round ones normally give better sound. I don't about square ones, better read the "Square Subs" topic.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 30-11-2002, 05:53 AM   #15
mrpayner

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Thanks Dave,

Now, I've only really found 5x7 speakers from 'Fusion' and they make 2 different models. Has anyone had any experience or seen fusion speakers in action?? And what was their performance like??

Any help is good help, thanks fellas

Adam

PS i didn't realise that oval speakers perform worse than your conventional round ones....interesting.[/colorost_uid0]

Old 30-11-2002, 10:28 PM   #16
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
[color=#000000ost_uid0]I havnt heard Fusion lately. *Cant remember what they were like last time i heard them either so i cant help u there

Hertz have 5x7 splits which might be worth a look. *I've been wanting to hear these for aages ! *Code HSK-570 *i think ???

if u go to
http://www.rmaudio.com.au/hertz/fr_hertz.htm *
and look under 'Hi Energy' * they're in there.

Mal, *you will most likely have trouble fitting 6x9s in the back doors without some modifications, either you could cut the metal of the door back to fit the bigger speaker, *or mount the speaker on a pod of some kind. *From what i remember, cutting the metal still would be hard not only coz its strong metal, but also coz its not flat and so u would need some further support for the speaker.
You will most likely find the sound would be slightly muffled from speakers in the back doors

Dave[/colorost_uid0]
Old 30-11-2002, 10:31 PM   #17
zoom

Car: 94 ba astina
[color=#000000ost_uid0]Adam I have kenwood 5 by 7s there good JBL also make 5/7. If you wanted to use round one in the front just make a mdf plate to fill to gaps up and mount the speaker on.
A friend use fussion 6/9 and they sound great running of an amp ($90 amp from strathies)[/colorost_uid0]
lowered 2 inches
K & N air filter
2 inch echaust
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:09 PM   #18
Critter

Car: SP20
[color=#000000ost_uid0]The round v oval speaker thing is a continuing worry....

For eg, if you compare Boston RC620s (6" round) to RC820s (5"x7") you would NOT say the 5"x7"s aren't as good as the 6" dia.....

Big ovals in the back is one bass improvement but are a waste if you go with a sub in the future and will be mostly using the front speakers after that.

Sound deadening the doors and sealing up the service holes in the doors will do/does wonders for mid-bass. Proper amps (not HU power) will be a big *help too.

Make a plan, budget for it, and do it step by step. Half-measures disappoint when you compare it to the "real thing".

1.Decent front speakers
2.Deaden and seal up front doors
3.Decent amp for front
4.Sub in good enclosure and sub amp
5.Bliss [/colorost_uid0]
Adjustable lowered suspension with monster brakes
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 02:06 PM   #19
Mr_Bob

Send a message via ICQ to Mr_Bob Send a message via MSN to Mr_Bob
[color=#000080ost_uid0]it takes power to make bass, HU's just don't cut it.
"half measures" will lead to "upgrades"
which means either wasted money, or unsatisfying sound.
do it once, do it right.
figure out what you want and buy the right products at the right prices.
it's taken me 7 months to purchase all the parts to my system, but i took my time and bought the right stuff, when it was at the right price, most of it i got for half price. the least i saved was 5%[/colorost_uid0]
Old 02-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #20
MrShadow
Senior Time-waster

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Well,
I've got a quote for some JBL speakers - 6x9 rear, 5x7 front. I'm also going to deaden the doors. Another tip I've been given is to get some 2-3mm rubber sheet and cut out to the pattern of the speaker, then use it as a base so it sits between the speaker and the door.

Anybody know what JBL are like. And I do realise doing it this way is going to cost me more in the long run, but it will be LONG time before I amp up, let alone sub it. My plan was:

1) HU (Got it - basic Kenwood 4 x 45W HU w/stacker)
2) Speakers (decent with good all round performance and decent bass response)
3) Amp (suitable to drive 2 or more speakers and a sub)
4) Sub (10 or 12 inch (???))
5) Replace speakers for a sub setup[/colorost_uid0]