Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 23-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1998 Honda Civic CXi Hatchback
RTA Lowering Laws... Thoughts?

Hey all,

I just wondered what your thoughts are on the new RTA lowering laws they are introducing as of 1 August 2009. Not sure if it's Australia wide but NSW will sure be hit hard.

I used to post on here frequently but stopped for quite some time and in the meantime I bought a car, (not the Astina I initially thought I would) a Honda Civic 98 Hatchback which was lowered by it's previous owner which means I'm now going to get stung by these new laws

Being on my red P's I don't want to draw attention to myself but I also don't want to raise my car back to standard... bit of a pridicament I'm in I think!

Some people in the newspaper and online yesterday made some valid points that this new law may put quite a few companies out of buisness. A petition has been started and this is where my boyfriend Paul and I were reading the viewers thoughts last night:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/94/he...ed-cars-in-nsw

Thoughts?
Ky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 23-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
thread had already been created

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14788

but i dont remember seeing a petition.
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Sorry I did look for it but couldn't find it. Yes the petition has been started. So far when I checked a moment ago there are 2012 signatures. I myself have signed it. There are an awful lots of good points made.
Old 23-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
yeah but out of those 2012 signatures 2000 (probably) are what government classifies as hoons so they wont listen to it
Old 23-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
dont start this thread again...it will get closed like the last one for same reason....

govt classification of a hoon = anyone under 26 with a vehicle that has anything that isnt factory standard

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
Their classification changes with the tide, it sucks. But there are also a lot of people who don't fit the description of a hoon that will be affected by these laws if they're brought into practise. The best way of avoiding attention is to not drive like these hoons (not saying you are one) and stay out of trouble, can't do much else.
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

I agree Mike. Goverment and Police think "hoons" are exactly as Ghoru described it. I'm a Red P Plater who (as my friends describe it) drives like a Nanna so I won't attract attention but the low profile of my car now will, whereas before it didn't. Oh well... the Goverment always do what they want anyway, whether the public think it fit or not.

I don't want this thread closed nor do I want to become a slanging match between everyone, I was merely interested in peoples thoughts and I wasn't aware one had been started. Apologies for the duplicate thread. I also thought if some of you wanted to sign the petition that I would link it..

Thanks!
Old 24-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Ghoru

Car: '92 BG Astina Sp
the only reason the last one got closed was because someone had an attitude problem that didnt sit right with the rest of us

as far as i know it only applies to NSW for now...and even if it does happen in QLD it dont relly worry me simply because i wont have a need to lower my car 15 cm anyway

http://www.eveonline.com/
Ghoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

it didnt sit right with certain individuals, not with everyone
Old 24-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 99 mx5
mate i wouldnt worry,
one of my church leaders is a cop and according to him most of the time a p-plater is ignored, they figure if their displaying plates there not gonna be braking the law or be in a stolen car. however this doesn't work if your car is loud or has ridiculously big rims while being lowered (eg 18"s on it) or if its scraping

just dont argue with the cops or they will sting u hard,

straights are good for fast cars
corners are for fast drivers
spenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

I'd be too scared to argue with the cops lol. I'd be more inclined to cry as I'd be **** scared because I've never been pulled over before except for an RBT. Yeah my car has legal rims on it and isn't as low as some cars around.. so I'm not too worried I just don't want the show cars to suffer due to the new laws. It would be such a shame to see business potentially go out of business and old car ethusiasts be penalised for the small percentage of idiots out there.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

businesses wont loose customers, if anything they will get more.. problem is that ppl do it themselfs, and they can go around things. u take ur car to a garage to get it lowered or whatever they will do it and give u a plate, make it all nice and legal
Old 29-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
So there has been a lot of chatter over these last few weeks regarding the new law that is to be passed as at August 1 2009 regarding the modification to suspension on street cars.

Happy to report that as of this afternoon, (meeting with RTA, AAAA, Pedders Suspension, Fulcrum Suspension, King Spring Works and a few others including the NSW Roads Minister him self.

The RTA have decided for now that they will be deferring the law until further notice on advice of industry heads.
The RTA have also said that they jumped on board with out the proper advice of experts and the like from inside the trade.
It is possible that when a new law does come through (12 months or so I think) that it will require all lowered cars to have a self certified certificate thats has been given to them by the seller or installer and that will have to lodged with the RTA in NSW.

This is only up to and including drop or lift of 50mm (2")
I think the guys with Air Bagged utes and the like will still be stuffed.
But we will all be fine.

There should be a press release tomorrow and just thought you all might like a heads up.
happy times for nsw modifiers.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Link, Ryan?

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
Link, Ryan?
Ditto... you got the link? I'd love to read about it. Cheers.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37818

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

Thank Rupe.. I will wait for the press release before I got too excited I think. However, I hope this is the case because NSW deserves further notice before such laws are implemented!
Old 30-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
project.r.racing

yup thats the link.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #19
project.r.racing

NSW MINISTER FOR ROADS
MICHAEL DALEY MP
NEWS RELEASE
MINISTER AGREES TO FURTHER CONSULTATION ON
CAR MODIFICATION LAWS
Wednesday 29 July 2009
Minister for Roads Michael Daley today met with representatives from the 4WD community and car industry who asked for the introduction of proposed vehicle modification rules to be delayed and for more time to consult.
Mr Daley said he agreed to put the rule changes on hold and that more consultation was needed following the meeting.
“I’ve listened to feedback from the industry and the community, and have agreed to set up a working party to look more closely at how we are going to address this road safety issue,” he said.
“All of those who attended today’s meeting agreed that safety is paramount and that unsafe modifications of vehicles do need be stamped out.
“The working group will include representatives from the NSW Centre for Road Safety, Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT, Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association, the Australian 4WD Industry Council as well as other agencies and experts,” Mr Daley said.
Executive Director of Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association Stuart Charity said this was a terrific outcome.
“We’re passionate about road safety and we understand the intent of the regulation is to make the roads safer,” he said.
We’re looking forward to working towards a practical solution that meets road safety objectives while also taking industry views into account,” Mr Charity said.
Greg Redfern from Four Wheel Drive NSW-ACT also welcomed the outcome and said the working group would have their full support.
“We want to eliminate unsafe practices in the driving community and we’ll work with the government to make sure these new regulations meet those objectives without any adverse consequences for the motoring community at large,” he said.
“We all agree that there is no place for extreme and illegal modifications, but the clubs in our association follow a strict code of conduct and ethics, and we want to make sure they’re not punished,” Mr Redfern said.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Ky_88
AstinaGT Regular

I saw a segment on the news last night in regards to this and it's good news they are looking in to it more. YAY!

However, all it is really doing is granting more time for all of us to amend our cars back to stock so we don't get in trouble when they meet again in September to discuss.