Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Interior & Electrics

Old 14-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #41
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
we have to get the e2000 van or whatever it is. $450 trade price through mazda
So we cannot use the lever from an aussie MPV??

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #42
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
leigh, the $100 ones from ford dont have the switch for the rear wiper, ie the sedan - i checked with ford and mazda - with the switch was $450 at trade price or something close to that. it was definately +$400

and dont know about the mpv, i just know the e series van's have the same stalk as we require.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #43
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
ah yes! rear wiper.....forgot bout that ops:
Old 14-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #44
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
gotta love the bgs wipers

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #45
ABC

Send a message via MSN to ABC
That'll teach you all to buy a 4CL! Muhahahahaaaa! :lol:
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #46
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
thats so bizarre that the BJ doesnt come with intermittent wipers :shock: :shock:

the BA does - even the 1.8...

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #47
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
yeah f*#d ****ed up.... they quoted me $76 on the phone, then when i got there they asked me for $196.... they gave it to me at trade price which was $86, so i have no idea what happened there... they ****ed up, i got a good price, and its awesome!

and yes Leigh has intermittent wipers standard...

and back on topic, everyone has asked if they were standard, so i had to explain where i got them from, i was then called brave for playing with the gauges!! go figure!, but i like it, as does everyone else - including my dad!!! (thats rare that he be impressed at anything)
Old 15-12-2004, 09:01 AM   #48
tidy protege

Car: wrx
Send a message via MSN to tidy protege
Them guages dnt look to bad, im thinking I might to try and source a set of sp20 ones, how hard were they to put in and are yours legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahb11m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahb11m
here it is - NB i also have intermittent wipers!!
my night pics were all sorts of blurred, and not v. different to the before stuff...

tidy protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 09:31 PM   #49
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hmmm, pay close attention to how James had to get the temp/fuel guage backing on there, snip snip...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #50
tidy protege

Whole f*** thats hilarious lol, I wont be letting him near my car
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Hmmm, pay close attention to how James had to get the temp/fuel guage backing on there, snip snip...
Old 17-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #51
Red Frog

well then offer some suggestions of how YOU would get the overlays on without breaking the fuel and temp gauges! bcos i watched james try many a time without success and this was really the only feasible option.
any suggestions? cos i was thinking about getting these for my car but i don't want to break the gauges or cut nething....
Old 17-12-2004, 12:33 AM   #52
tidy protege

I find this funny cause all to often he is the first to pick inperfections in other peoples cars so I thought I might return the favour, he knows alot but some times he says to much and its not cnstructive it is destructive.

I am now afreaid to post ideas because he has pulled my ideas compltetly apart I come here to learn and try to help other people and everything that is said gets completley shot down.

Now im at a point where I dont even bother posting much, you as a training Teacher know that you teach children to say anything unless it is positive or constructive teach James that and other members will return the courtesy, if memory sevre me correct it was infact Chicaboo that picked up the inperfections.

And i whish you all the best with it im sure it is posible to do it cause i saw at autosalon Cinema has sucessfully done it.
Old 17-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #53
Red Frog

hey hey just calm down, nothing's personal, u're being a little sensitive k. and if it is upsetting u, i've learnt it's best to discuss it directly (like PM-ing)with that person, rather than on the forums k. that is MUCH more constructive

newho, i was honestly asking who had changed their panel without any hassles and how HAD they done it cos i was thinking about it today. yes yes i'm sad :P ....i was sitting in the car staring at my dash thinking....hmmm my panel is looking rather plain now....mite look into those egg rings + coloured overlays. it's contagious!!! btw, i love unifilters!! oh yeah!! :twisted:
Old 17-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #54
tidy protege

ok
Old 17-12-2004, 06:32 AM   #55
platypus
living in the past man

yup, its the only way to slide them gauges over, as the needles break v. easily....

i was going to photo shop the lines out, but after all i have to original picture, coz i'm careful with my records and didn't want to show the world something it ain't.... when a pic is in 1600x1200 its bound to show errors such as this
and while we are on it, craig you seem to have an issue with me, but thats cool, its mutual mate, but thats life i don't have to talk to everyone and entertain their whims....

ok rant #2 over
Old 17-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #56
chicaboo

James,

Do all the different guage overlays fit on in this manner? I've noticed there are a few different companies out there offering these things (albeit much the same design) and wondered if they delt with the fitment issue in their own ways... I am amazed they don't give any instructions on fitment if the needles can't be removed. So do these needles go on one time only and that's it? they look like they could just plug on and off to a spline.
I was going to consider getting the white overlays until I got the polished DaveB rings. Now I have somewhat of the new (old) Volkswagon style which I actually like, so I'll be leaving mine black with the chrome highlight.
BTW: It sucks that you had to do that to get them to fit, they should make these things more sympathetically to begin with! In my amazement I just pointed it out so people knew what had to be done to get them on there. I realise you wouldn't have done that unless it was a last resort.

Gav.
Old 17-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #57
chicaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Frog
well then offer some suggestions of how YOU would get the overlays on without breaking the fuel and temp gauges! bcos i watched james try many a time without success and this was really the only feasible option.
any suggestions? cos i was thinking about getting these for my car but i don't want to break the gauges or cut nething....
Hi Leigh,

I do have an idea just now, why not make the circular hole in the middle bigger like on the two other dials? I know it would be more difficult to do, but you could also make a round black inset that can be snipped more discreatly to go immediately around the needle and fit inside the white area... Does anyone else think this could work?

Gav.
Old 18-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #58
platypus
living in the past man

naaa it don't work, its too hard to snip a circle in there, but having said that it could be done... unfortunently the blade i used was a bit blunt, so not really a great job on the whole, but i don't like the creamy SP20 dials or the black dials, the white rocks!!! does have a full antiglare filter as well, unlike the locally acailable units....

and no you can't remove theos needles with out heat.... the way to do it would be to get a pair of hot fingers, as this will allow the needles to be removed (wish i knew that before)

but on the upside i have hot fingers at work!!!

for those who don't know what hot fingers are, they are basically special pliers that are attached to a power pack, with a foot swtich - when you apply the switch the hot fingers carry a LOT of heat across them, which at my work is used to re sink those metal hinges into plastic frames, or could be used to heat plastic needles out when used on the needle post
Old 18-12-2004, 08:25 AM   #59
chicaboo

Yeah I spose you'd prolly need something like a cooky cutter to get the middle section out. Or maybe even one of those circular saw bits, but then you'd need to tidy it up with some emary afterwards to get it tidy...
And yeah, what's with the SP20 overlays being creamy? I noticed that on Andy's car because he has another column guage that is pure white and it really stands out...
Old 18-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #60
platypus
living in the past man

i think the colour is to do with glare, and eye strain...