Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 20-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #81
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiP
how's the interest factor coming along?

what kind of timeframe are we talking before they are ready?

im in no hurry... but have i got time to go and spend money on other things before you hit me with the bill?

thanks mate
Interest factor isnt quite as good as i'd like....

timeframe... well... my friend with the test car (not an astina member) is flakey. I've been promised a final look at his car for fitment of the prototype for 2 weeks now... but something always comes up.

Anyone in brissy got a 1.8 for us?

otherwise i'll bail my mate up on saturday regardless...(i'll hogtie him and steal the car if have to.)

Would make the prototype available to buy for someone, but its made from mild steel... and weighs a tonne (went with mild steel for the prototype cos its easier to work with and easier to come by).

Anyway, once the prototype is finally finished...it shouldnt take anymore than a couple of weeks for our manufacturer in sydney to crank out the first batch.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #82
Ian

Car: 1990 R32 GTR
Not sure if this has been asked, dont really have time to wade through 5 pages of the thread (Did a quick search for "bpt" on the whole thread, pretty confident it hasent been discussed)

Howabout a BPT/D CAI? Will need to be different to the BP NA one, the whole snail thingi... Also, while were on the subject, howabout a FMIC kit?

Mah Ride!
details
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #83
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Not sure if this has been asked, dont really have time to wade through 5 pages of the thread (Did a quick search for "bpt" on the whole thread, pretty confident it hasent been discussed)

Howabout a BPT/D CAI? Will need to be different to the BP NA one, the whole snail thingi... Also, while were on the subject, howabout a FMIC kit?
Obviously, because we're such a small operation, we need to go after volume. If we were to build one for the BPT (i'd hazard a guess most BPT owners have already got one), it'd cost alot because we couldnt manufacture them in volume....(for example, a 1 off cold air intake in aluminium was quoted to us at $400...thats manufacturing cost..... then tack our margins on, shipping, R&D costs, fitting and finishing, and your intake costs $600....).

Obviously, if there was enough interest from the BPT guys, we could definantly do it.

Also, even if the engine is the same, the path the intake must follow will be different between the BG and the BA.... due to engine bay and what not.

Hows about this:

if anyone who owns any car what so ever, can show us that there is a market out there for an intake for said car, we will investigate designing and building a cold air intake for it.. If you do a little bit of the leg work for us, and agree to let us use you as the guinea pig, then by all means, we'll build whatever you like =) Assuming we have the technical capability to do so.

as for FMIC, if you want us to build you one (custom, one off), we can do it. Have a contact with one of the best aluminium automotive cooling products companies in the country....they could build your intercooler for you, and we can plumb it up. Alternativly, we can get ahold of a ready made intercooler to fit, fit it and plumb it up nicely ... If you are keen, gimme a PM and i'll start the ball rolling. We use top quality silicon hose and fittings for the intakes, and the stuff is rated to take pretty substantial positive pressure... looks hot too the same fittings would be used on any turbo plumbing we did for you.

Old 24-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #84
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Just wondering what the advantages of your intake will be over the Injen or the K&N Typhoon?

I'm asking as I've managed to source the Typhoon for $375 landed, and its sorta hard to tell what will be better......

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #85
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
Just wondering what the advantages of your intake will be over the Injen or the K&N Typhoon?

I'm asking as I've managed to source the Typhoon for $375 landed, and its sorta hard to tell what will be better......
absolutely no advantage/disadvantage over the injen - its a direct copy, with the PCV bung moved slightly to make the install a bit neater but aside from that no different.

Differences with the typhoon is that it can be turned into a short ram during bad weather, but i've yet to hear of a single person actually doing the change...they either set it up as short ram or CCA and are done. There will be no advantage or disadvantage over the typhoon when its in CCA configuration.

thats an awesome price for the typhoon...if we could get them that cheap we wouldnt be making our own!

I guess the only real "advantage" is that ours is a locally made product - you know the people who built it for you, and you dont have to deal with a faceless company if something goes wrong.

Old 25-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #86
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
thats an awesome price for the typhoon...if we could get them that cheap we wouldnt be making our own!
Tell me about it! The wierd thing is that the same place has the Injen for about $50 extra. Funny, considering the Typhoon is usually more expensive....

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #87
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
Tell me about it! The wierd thing is that the same place has the Injen for about $50 extra. Funny, considering the Typhoon is usually more expensive....
Its definantly odd... is it the complete cold air version of the typhoon, or the SRI only? I know the SRI is cheaper. if its the CCA then fantastic find!.

But still.. look at getting an injen into the country, sure the asking price is probably around our price, but once shipping is factored in, when we investigated it prior to setting the wheels in motion to build our own, we couldnt get change out of $500 landed...

For ours, you are looking at $360 ex shipping. and thats a full aluminium run upto the throttlebody (pipe has a break in it where the MAF goes in, obviously)... Like i said before as far as performance goes, it should be identical to its more expensive cousins... the advantage comes from knowing who made it...slight alterations can be made, you can arrange to powdercoat it to your specifications...its not a "kit" - you can buy parts of it without buying other parts (say, for instance, you already have a pod...).

Old 07-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #88
Pork Chop Express

Car: 1997 Mazda Astina Hatch
Any further news?

Price, no. of people on GB, waiting period...?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #89
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chop Express
Any further news?

Price, no. of people on GB, waiting period...?
Price... around $360 at this stage (believe me i'm negotiating like never before to get our suppliers to cut that down!)

People... theres probably about 3 firm interests here....maybe 5 or so total if you include the maybes...feel free to start rallying the troops and getting them on board.

waiting period... the guy who owns my test car has gone flakey... perhaps Deejayryry could come visit us for final fitment, because the guy with the BA hatch who doesnt come on these forums is never available... even if we give him 2 wks notice
???? just so we can get it all done and dusted....

Old 07-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #90
FLiP

Car: 2005 Polo GTi
Send a message via MSN to FLiP
My money is here and waiting... just so you know.
FLiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #91
Pork Chop Express

Any more news? or is this thread gone dead?

How much just for one or for the 3 people that are on the GB list?
Old 18-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #92
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
Any more news? or is this thread gone dead?
How much just for one or for the 3 people that are on the GB list?
If this dies in the arse - ProjectR can get them made up for you. Designed and built at ProjectR workshop. Normally only 7 days would be required to make it. Due to Jamboree commitments at the moment, a little more time may be required.

Ryan

p.s. Not crunching in on your customer(s) B3M. Only offering if all else fails.

Last edited by project.r.racing; 18-09-2006 at 12:29 PM.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #93
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayryry
If this dies in the arse - ProjectR can get them made up for you. Designed and built at ProjectR workshop. Normally only 7 days would be required to make it. Due to Jamboree commitments at the moment, a little more time may be required.

Ryan

p.s. Not crunching in on your customer(s) B3M. Only offering if all else fails.
Project hasnt gone dead yet... just lost our test fit car!... the guy who owns the BA that was copping the prototype treatment is flakey at the best of times...
Mild Steel test pipes are waiting in the B3M workshop for final fitment and welding before it can be sent to the manufacturer to replicate in aluminium. If someone in brissy could spare their BA for a couple of hours one afternoon we could get this completed and ready to roll..

I'll try and put the squeeze on the original prototype car. Again we have jambo commitments (getting Twiggy in the winning circle again!), but following that, if anyone at all can spare their car we can do it....Anyone putting their car in for the test fit can have the prototype CAI once we've finished with it (i.e. once our other pipes are bent) at cost...obviously you'd need to find your own filter and what not.

PM if you have a car available and we'll work something out.

Sorry about any stuff arounds etc guys...its just tricky when you dont have a car to work on then you do then you dont then you do then you dont

Old 18-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #94
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Is that the same BA that was at your place 2 weeks ago when I was dropping cams off?
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #95
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Is that the same BA that was at your place 2 weeks ago when I was dropping cams off?
Yeh mate thats the one.

borrowing his car for extended periods of time (he doesnt need to see it in a million pieces, not being a car guy he wouldnt understand) is proving difficult... looks like Ryan is going to come through for us though

Old 18-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #96
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWorm
looks like Ryan is going to come through for us though
i'm always saving your arses haha
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #97
Pork Chop Express

Where's projectR?

Went off CAI for a bit.. I fly RC helis and planes so a whole bunch of cash went into that hobby.. Now that I'm back on track with the credit card, I want to get back into the whole CAI scene..
Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #98
project.r.racing

Quote:
Where's projectR?
small business in sunshine coast, queensland.
Old 14-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #99
Pork Chop Express

Anybody in the Melbourne area want to install a CAI for me?

I'll pay for all parts and labour...... 1997 BA 1.8L Hatch.. just give me a quote...

Just give me the options... ie. if protecting the kit (from water or heat) is better done by better parts selection or by shielding it somehow, let me know.. I'm happy to pay..

Twice already I've been to a car dealership.. Was on the verge of buying a new car each time, but told myself no. There's nothing wrong with my car... Cars almost bought were Peugeot 406 coupe and Mazda 6 luxury... Both cars are equivalent to a deposit on a new house... hhmmm...

So a few hundred to re-kindle my love for the Astina is not too much to ask...
Old 14-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #100
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Gah, the Hatch is a pain to get a good source of air to unless you're fine with a hole being cut in your bumper.

But i could do it. The way i'd do it is just ducting to the standard air box, and using a K&N panel filter in the box. Using a boxed filter is better than an exposed pod for keeping the air temp down.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote