Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 28-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
LiL323

Car: Madaz 323 Astina '98 Hatch
Lightbulb My Exhaust s0unds like a tin can!!

hey guys,
Probably tha dumbest question, but i've had a new exhaust and tip put on my BA. It sounds like a tin can! when i'm driving and revs hit up to 3 it makes a tinny noise! I've had it f0r 6m0nths n thawt it wo0d jus wear away, buh it stil d0es it! ne wun know how ta fix it? thanks!!
Old 28-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
deusexmacaroni

Car: 97 BA (For Sale!)
What kind of exhaust system is installed, and what size tip and pipe diameters are being used? Because if you have a too large diameter that could be causing the issue. It may be that you might have to alter these things a little (I am speaking from experience here - my previous owner stuffed around on the exhaust and ruined the performance entirely).

However, you allude to the sound being only an issue at ~3000rpm, which sounds more like a structural resonance issue... I might check my BA later today to confirm whether this effect happens on mine. If it is that, there are ways around it but I have never tried it on cars, only on buildings.
deusexmacaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Cut it off, throw it away and put on a Magnaflow 14832 Street Series if you want good sound.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
LiL323

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusexmacaroni
What kind of exhaust system is installed, and what size tip and pipe diameters are being used? Because if you have a too large diameter that could be causing the issue. It may be that you might have to alter these things a little (I am speaking from experience here - my previous owner stuffed around on the exhaust and ruined the performance entirely).

However, you allude to the sound being only an issue at ~3000rpm, which sounds more like a structural resonance issue... I might check my BA later today to confirm whether this effect happens on mine. If it is that, there are ways around it but I have never tried it on cars, only on buildings.
i have n0 idea atm... i gave tha car 2 my br0 to get an exhaust fitted n this is wuh he came bak with. i'l talk to him 2nyt to find out wat type. All i got was a ****ty exhaust and tha bill for $700

Last edited by LiL323; 28-09-2006 at 01:05 PM.
LiL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Do you have a resonator installed?

My recommendation would be to find a good exhaust installer and go to them. I'm sure Darwin would have at least one...

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Your tip is too big. Even the stock muffler with a big tip will sound crap.

You don't need anything bigger than 2"

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
LiL323

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
Do you have a resonator installed?

My recommendation would be to find a good exhaust installer and go to them. I'm sure Darwin would have at least one...
Yeah i called the guy that fitted it and he sed he will fit a resonator free of charge if its too loud, but its not too loud, it just makes weird noises.. lol
Old 28-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
my exausts a bit raspy but i think thats more of a sucking noise associated with the extractors.
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Ripper323
Carless Bum

Car: whatever I can borrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
Don't go to Tom's mufflers, go to the joint in Stuart Park, on the opposite side of the Stuart Hwy to Holden and Mazda. That's if you have no joy with getting it fixed where you got it done.
Old 28-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
my exausts a bit raspy but i think thats more of a sucking noise associated with the extractors.
Nah, yours is somewhat farty. You never hear it because you're the one driving it.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
MissyK

Car: Mazda
Girly... We need to teach you some things I dont trust no1 to do mods to my car unless I know.. I hassal the crap out of people for information. I want to know exactly whats goin on my car and how they will do the job etc.

I dont have brothers and my dads not interested in cars so Ive always done things on my own, but its really fun learning things for yourself. Fair enough ur bro is helping you out, but go with him next time, and have a look and learn whats happening I'm proud to say I'm female, done heaps of car shows, all my mods ive researched and done some myself, or gone and had workshops finish the job, its great feeling

Dont listen to people who say ur a girl u dont need to know blah blah blah... amount of times ive made guys look silly because I have known more is countless - so much fun too Go girl power

Anyway hope you get the problem solved
Old 28-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
haha someone needs to drive my car so i can have a listen. sounds sweet form in the cabin
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
MissyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1mo
haha someone needs to drive my car so i can have a listen. sounds sweet form in the cabin
lol i love it when other ppl drive my car and i listen to the car 2!! today i heard the new tip on the astina.. it kinda grumbled a bit. cant hear anythin inside the car tho. sounded sweet from outside
i can drive ur car if u want
Old 29-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
mill_mobile

Car: 98 BJ
Send a message via MSN to mill_mobile
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Cut it off, throw it away and put on a Magnaflow 14832 Street Series if you want good sound.

Gav.
How much do these set you back? Are they loud or just have a nice note?
mill_mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
LordWorm

Car: .
Just get a thumping great big cannon... nothing sounds sweeter (oh i know some people hate cannons... i love the things...so bah!)

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
chicaboo

Around the $250 mark just for the muffler. Arden got one recently, so he would have a better idea on local pricing. The note is nice, not offensive, but not as good as the famous Racing Beat exhaust system though. It's probably about as loud as my exhaust, so it's at the better end of the scale if you like it quieter, but the tone does enter the cabin.
Old 29-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
LiL323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyK
Girly... We need to teach you some things I dont trust no1 to do mods to my car unless I know.. I hassal the crap out of people for information. I want to know exactly whats goin on my car and how they will do the job etc.

I dont have brothers and my dads not interested in cars so Ive always done things on my own, but its really fun learning things for yourself. Fair enough ur bro is helping you out, but go with him next time, and have a look and learn whats happening I'm proud to say I'm female, done heaps of car shows, all my mods ive researched and done some myself, or gone and had workshops finish the job, its great feeling

Dont listen to people who say ur a girl u dont need to know blah blah blah... amount of times ive made guys look silly because I have known more is countless - so much fun too Go girl power

Anyway hope you get the problem solved
thanks heaps!! yeah i hate Darwin for the bad car scene.. everything that's done up here is done dodgy, people just want their money and like to rip others off.. lol I think i'm gona take more intrest when gettin mods done to my car now.. i know who to talk to now when my cars falling apart, MissyK! guess you've got alot to teach me now huh.. Well i've booked tha car into a different place, he's gonna have a look at it.. should be good wen its fixed tho! thanks for ur help!
Old 29-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #18
mill_mobile

Car: 98 BJ
Send a message via MSN to mill_mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Around the $250 mark just for the muffler. Arden got one recently, so he would have a better idea on local pricing. The note is nice, not offensive, but not as good as the famous Racing Beat exhaust system though. It's probably about as loud as my exhaust, so it's at the better end of the scale if you like it quieter, but the tone does enter the cabin.
Yeah, i want something not too costly, not too loud, but sounds nice.

So this could be a dumd question - does it sound crap if you dont get a wider 'pipe' the whole way back to the manifold? or do you have to go right through anyway?
mill_mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #19
chicaboo

Bigger piping gives a deeper throatier tone/note, even on the intake end. But it can also cause resonence or droning too.
Old 29-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
MissyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL323
thanks heaps!! yeah i hate Darwin for the bad car scene.. everything that's done up here is done dodgy, people just want their money and like to rip others off.. lol I think i'm gona take more intrest when gettin mods done to my car now.. i know who to talk to now when my cars falling apart, MissyK! guess you've got alot to teach me now huh.. Well i've booked tha car into a different place, he's gonna have a look at it.. should be good wen its fixed tho! thanks for ur help!
And if all else fails, just put on the waterworks (cry) and they'll fix in no time....

(no ive never done that....... some friends do lol)