Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Introduce yourself

Old 21-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
rolly

Car: Hirsch SAAB, Clio RS, Lantis R
Lantis Type R for a new race series

Hi all,

I'm new to Mazdas as I am a euro fan boy at heart. I have recently purchased a 94 Lantis Type R to run as a daily driver and compete in a new series starting here in NZ called the 2kcup.http://www.2kcup.com

The idea is to keep the car factory standard and see if it will last 33minutes at a time!

I purchased her sight unseen far away and ended up with a bit of a pup. Water Pump is stuffed, chassis rails need repair and CV boot is gone. I'm still hoever, going forward with the project.

Anyways I have been trolling a little bit around to try and pick up what I can about these cars and your site has been most helpful.

Rupe's for sale page has given me JDM envy. All I can say is that I am glad that I have to keep the spend as low as possible. The series can buy the car for 2.5k if they feel it has been developed.

I have a whole bunch of parts comming to get the engine operational and a set of 15" wheels which I am tidying up so I can run the tyres off my Clio.

Things I will need your guys advice on are:

1) What pads are out there to run in the standard brake calipers given the races will typically be 20 odd laps and no brake ducting is allowed (std non slotted discs too).

2) What are the mazdaspeed adj damping shocks like? Are they anymore suitable to track work than std shocks?

Last edited by rolly; 21-05-2013 at 05:11 PM.
rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
!! Welcome To AstinaGT !!
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Pretty crazy series having 1 hour races with only pads and springs as safety upgrades.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
tyres allowed?
id go for a full track pad in an attempt to keep the brakes not cooking and a ultra high temp fluid.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
rolly

Thanks guys,

Tyres are road tyres only, no semi slicks. I am running Fedral 595 RSR front and Bridgestone RE-11 on the rear as that is what I have been using on the Clio for track days.

At this stage the best I have found are Ferodo DS2500 out of the uk as an off the shelf pad. I can spend twice as much and get custom pads made, but I don't think it will be worth it given I won't want to generate too much heat into the rotors. Of course if there are any others I should be looking at let me know!

All fluids will be changed, radiator flushed etc. I am going to be keeping a close eye on oil pressure and may well check the cam journals to make sure the rest of the motor gets oil. One corner at Hampton Downs is notorious for killing bottom ends.

Its all about driving to the limits of the car and being sensible - any idiots will be booted out.

As much as I have always loved these cars, it is not going to win against a gen III mr2 (unless it rains).

I am doing it because I needed to get a cheap daily to give the Clio a break due to travelling 500ks a week, and this series came along which I hope to be a lot of fun.

The finer details around all the rules are still being fleshed out, but at the end of the day it is the organisers say as to your compliance with the rules. Thankfully I'm friends with the organisers!
Old 21-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
spenaroo
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 99 mx5
woah...

gen 2 or 3 mr2

"The series can buy the car for 2.5k if they feel it has been developed"

..... where can i get one of these for 2.5k

also if mr2's are allowed to compete why not mx5's

straights are good for fast cars
corners are for fast drivers
spenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Welcome!

Cool idea for a series.

Good that you got a Type-R - the LSD will certainly help.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Badger

Car: Lantis-R
Another 2kcup Lantis-R here Look forward to racing ya
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
rolly

So figured I should give a bit of an update.

There was a practice afternoon for the 2kcup cars/drivers on the weekend so I jumped at the chance since the car had only been on the road a week since I purchased it. The BIG difference with this practice session was that it was open pit meaning no restriction on time out on the track

Since I purchased it I have done the following
Waterpump
Cam belt/tensioners/pulleys
Aux belts
spark plugs
oil change
LH outer CV joint
LH inner CV boot
chassis rail uncrushed by panel beater
new std front pads/race pads
bleed brakes
Installed mazdaspeed seat
new seat belt buckle
remove alarm and blow up body computer

So I headed out to the track to do an autocross in the morning and the practice session in the afternoon. ( I have no picks/videos as i forgot to throw it in my gear bag). <slap>

The car felt good on the skid pad for the autocross and I think I got 3rd fastest on my first timed run, then it was a mad rush to change front brake pads to my race ones and left my autocross tyres on to provide more grip for bedding them in.

Got out on the track and started to bed them in, ran for 10 laps with water temp gauge dancing up and down like a poll dancer. Other than the water temp it all went swimmingly.

Come into the pits, check the brakes - all good save for possibly sticky calipers, change to normal tyres for some longer sessions to see what she will do.

So I head out with the intention of doing a 30min session to emulate a race distance. Car feels quite well balanced if a little slow in a straight line compared to others, water temp rises again - uh oh.

At this point I think about calling it a day to save it, I out brake the tyres and go off into the sand. Pull back onto the track and see what has shaken loose - the temp gauge! So I push some more - gauge slowly rises back up a bit to the upper line but does not continue all the way to the top line like before. In fact it drops a little. So press on I do.

I try short shifting and taking it easy to see if the gauge will drop and it does ever so slightly, then I think to myself "I wont get a chance to do this again without being in an actual race" So I just ring the crap out of it and go for a full hour.

The car just takes it - fricken awesome! I was able to do consistent lap times and in actual fact lap 44/48 was my fastest!

Car felt like it was fading a little due to heat towards the end in power from the motor and clutch mini slipping. take a couple of cool down laps and the water temp drops straight away.

Check the car over before hitting the road and notice the caliper pins are caked in crap and are a bit stuck.

so things to do before the first race in 2 weeks

Flush radiator/replace t stat to get rid of all the rust and hopefully drop the running temps
Strip down all the calipers and clean/lube all the pins.
Try and work out where the standard 125kw has gone over the last 20 years. Straight line speed is not this puppies forte. My Clio is doing 20km/h more at the end of the main straight, the Lantis is only doing 158 (gps speed). Thing is compression test is very good so it might be all I get

Thanks for watching. I will do an update after round 0 and hopefully have some footage for you.

Simon
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Badger

What pads are you using Simon?

EBC ones?

Our car is going to be in pretty poor shape for round zero, working 7 day weeks at the moment and have been pushing just to get the car roadworthy, let alone track worthy.

Will be there on budget tyres hopefully as our decent ones won't be here in time.
May not even be on the grid at all at this stage Might have to shake down on some trackdays and aim for September. This is what we get for starting late!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
rolly

Pads, I tell you when we catch up but needless to say they are NOT EBC

I will be running on my supercats for round 0, they might be slow but they are consistent and hardly wear.

I hope you can make it for round 0 George. It would be great to compare the cars before round 1 so that we can solve any problems etc. That said your corner speed will no doubt be better than mine as I am on std springs and original dampers (having said that I did notice a new clunk from the rear this morning, I hope its just a loose bolt cause I got no cash left to fix it!).

Team Rantis go! (say it with an Asian accent )
Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Badger

Aah, Simon, I think I've found your source.... great minds think alike!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
rolly

hahaha - awesome
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Demanius
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 323 Astina Hardtop V6
Nice car buddy
MAZDA V6's ROCK!!!!!