Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 24-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
astie

Car: astina ba
Thinking of full exhaust modification

I'm planning for a full exhaust modification to improve the performance, from the headers to exhaust tip but I'm not a big fan of LOUD exhaust AT ALL. I don't like drawing everyone's attention on the street and waking my neighbors or my family up in the middle of the night/morning. I like the one that sounds pretty much like stock when idling and cruising on freeway but has a good 'tone' when reving hard.

So i'm thinking to run a 2" or 2 1/4" system with high flow cat, and hopefully a high flow QUIET muffler (if possible to make it as quite as possible). Will 2" and 2 1/4" going to make any difference?? Also how much $$ will I be looking at spending??

spotted a header on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mazda-Astina-...#ht_518wt_1165)

forgot to mention it's a series 3 BA

Last edited by astie; 24-05-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: forgot to mention it's a series 3 BA
astie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
if it's a 1.8L then 2inch or 50mm or 55mm will be fine. you can go 2.25inch but it's really only good then for a camemd up car and if you want less sound.

but the real secret is to not use resonators but use MUFFLERS. there is a difference.
but your best bet is to use at least two mufflers either off-set straight throught or in-line straight through.

last N/A car - except my wagon I used. at rear a 2.5inch lucky off set stragiht through a single hot dog and a in-line stragiht through lucky compact muffler in the middle.

what I mean by straight through and off-set. Is that even if the pipes are off-set you can still see the other end out of it. These types of mufflers FLOW really well are not too expensive overall but do great things for reducing sound.

On most cars I've seen or had fitted - it onyl made them lounder on the ones I did identical replacment = what ever the factory had I used them and upgraded pipe size.
the only time it was louder was at full throttle or close to. EVen on falcon 4.0L sohc with small 1.5 step up camshaft and custom extractors 2.75inch pipe. at idle sounded just like a taxi but only when it was screeming past 4K did it really make any real extra noise.
Normally they get a deep sound at low revs being a long stroke and it's very deep and bassy but by using two offsets in the normal rear section of factory one. It was like normal. It had to be done like that to allow the P-plate owner to get away with the modifications. basicly - it's all standard.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
go 2 inch. cheaper and quieter. adding a high flow cat will increase the noise alot, so doing everything to minimise this effect is good. so the smaller piping the better.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
The Mazdaspeed exhaust'd be perfect then - it's only slightly noisier than stock at idle, but has a good roar when you open it up. Ask Cosmo - he's got one on his Hatch. It's 50.8mm piping

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
mike_d87
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Astina
I've got those headers on mine, made quite a difference. If you don't want it too loud then listen to these guys and get a 2-inch, I've got 2 1/4 all the way with 2 mufflers and high flow cat and it can be heard about a kilometre away.
mike_d87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
astie

Car: astina ba
thanks a lot for the help.

so i should run a 2inch system then. but should I use high flow cat? and should i use resonator then? what option do i have to make it sound quiet but without sacrificing too much performance?

so i should have: headers->cat (may be high flow) ->2" pipe ->in line muffler-> 90degree 2" pipe (for the rear muffler) -> in line muffler -> exhaust tip ??

the headers on ebay is 2 1/4 inch pipe out.. if i fit a 2" pipe, will the gas bottle neck and increase pressure?
astie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Fez323

Car: Astina BA 1.8 hatch
Like what alot of people are saying go with the 2inch. I tried making mine 2.25inch, and it was wayyy to loud so I had it changed back to 2 inch with high flow cat, resonator and muffler.
Fez323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Getting the sound right can be frustrating and expensive. If it turns out too loud, you could try what I'm testing now, which is a desperate cheapskate's solution: $5 worth of steel wool and a coat hangar jammed up the muffler. Works a bit too well. I can't hear the exhaust over the CAI, so I'll try $3 worth. Also need to make sure it doesn't rust out and desintegrate.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
asanga

Car: astina BA 1997 1.8Ltr
The reason you have a bigger exhaust is to un-restrict the air flow, then you block it with steel wool to restrict the air flow. Doesn’t make any sense! Why not keep the stock system then ?

asanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
get what u want, if its too loud, get a cheap cannon straight throu mufflerr from ebay (if u dont want to spend extra or dont have money) and get it welded inline before your end muffler. they will have to remove the tip and weld a pipe on but it essentually becomes a very short hotdog or u can allways get a cheap hotdog
and asanga is 100% right the steel wool is rendering the rest of your exhaust useless
Old 29-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Ice88

Car: Blue SP20
Id imagine its a cheap form of silencer that gets removed sometimes.
Old 29-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
oh yeah thats right there are those silencers that come standard with most cannons these days as well ay? the best thing i have seen still is the xforce varex muffler that setup is awesome as its pretty much plug and play
Old 29-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanga View Post
The reason you have a bigger exhaust is to un-restrict the air flow, then you block it with steel wool to restrict the air flow. Doesn’t make any sense! Why not keep the stock system then ?
Of course you are correct about the flow, but note I said it was a "desperate cheapskate" solution. It's a long story, but sometimes needs change and budget is limited. I just threw that idea out there if anyone finds themself in a similar situation. It is also easily reversible...
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
better then steel wool ?

Do Ford Australia's trick. the year is 1986 - Australia moves to unleaded.
Ford telstar Tx-5 turbo runs leaded or unleaded but 96RON required.
Mazda know the 626 coupe and hatch equivlant need the same so they a proper de-tune with limited disfucntion.

Ford - unbolt rear muffler - insert plate between muffler and pipe - plate has from all reports one hole or 3 holes. Depending on who removes it.

the plate dropepd boost without the need to sacrifice the low end timing.
Ford felt this would be better then mazda's soloution, as yes top end was restricted but it would still feel strong bottom end
In the end australia only got 95RON unleaed.
Funny how mazda books of time recoomend 96RON fuel ?
but a great to reduce noise and performance.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote