Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 29-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Astina Andy

Car: '97 BA Astina
Send a message via MSN to Astina Andy
Unhappy Very Scary Experience

Hey guys.

Today shortly after school finished I was driving the Astina with me, my brother, and three friends in it. I approached a corner, not too sharp at 60kph, the speed limit. Suddenly after exiting the corner I noticed we where heading too far over to the left, towards the Bremer River, I over-corrected to the right hand side and ended up spinning out doing a 180 and parked on the opposite side of the road facing the wrong way. I sat there, I was feeling sick.

This was the most scary thing that has ever happened to me. It wasn't me I was scared for but the other passengers in the vehicle. The corner wasn't sharp, the speed was within the limit. It turned out to be the tyres.

After sitting in the car for a few seconds, I got out, very shaken. Some guy in a ute who was driving past pulled over and started abusing me. I apolised, I didn't know what to say, I wasn't being stupid, and he was calling me a ****** stupid driver, and saying people like me kill people everyday.

The two tyres on the left hand side of the car where dragged off the rims. and the car didn't start. I called my dad, and he told me to walk to the nearest tyre shop and see if they had a truck that could some out and fix me up. We walked to Beaurepairs, they told me I needed 2 new tyres & rims.

Then we headed to Kmart Tyres, they quoted me $20 to fix it, however they didnt have the equipment to go out and do it, I needed to find a way to get my car to them, and they would fix it.

The guy there was awesome, he told me to head over to 'Grayam Crookes Tyres & More' they where even better, he took me and my mate back to the car in thier truck, jacked it up the tyres fell back onto the rims and he pumped them back up.

Slowly, we drove back to the shop, they took the tyres & rims off and sunk them into a big drum of water to check for leaks, all was good. then they even tyre shined them for me!

We asked how much and they wouldn't let us pay them, so we went home and picked up Steve's dad and bought them a 24 pack of stubbies (on special for $29.95.

I will add thier details to the good bussiness place.

Also im going to get my tyres replaced there and I also need a wheel alignment.

He showed me the bald spot on the left front tyre. and the right one was fine. Its good they show you wants going on. Unlike Beaurepairs who advised me for new tyres & rims, without even seeing the damage.

Anyway, I've learn't my lesson, no more corners above 10kph.

No flame please

No 'ZOMFG ****ING IDIOT KTHX'

Andy.

Check out the ride:
My Ride
Astina Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 29-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
hahaha better make it 5km's mate. glad to hear everyones ok.
the people who yell at drivers also cause casualties.. mostly due to other people beating their face in.
ive had it before mate and without knowing the story he had no place telling you that.
but on a serious note. did the last place advise you on what to do with the rims?
ive never heard about tires falling off without being seriously under-inflated.
hope your alright matey
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
good to hear you are ok dude ... sounds like your back tyres let go? i did the exact same thing on clear mountain about 4 months after leaving school. go book yourself a driving course. they will teach you how to correct situations like that. i have myself booked in for one in 3 weeks... cant wait.

as i said good to hear you are all ok

Nate

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
In the end it's about driving at a speed to suit the conditions (while staying within the law). That's something that comes with experience. Driving courses help can with that.

But good to hear you're ok, and no-one else was hurt.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht View Post
In the end it's about driving at a speed to suit the conditions (while staying within the law). That's something that comes with experience. Driving courses help can with that.

But good to hear you're ok, and no-one else was hurt.
Very true
We are all humans and we all make mistakes

Similar thing happend to me. And I've done a fair whack of experice driving. Plus other situations. Driving in Asia and the like.

But I went into a corner all was well - At some nice large 3 lane traffic lights.
Sydney siders know it well King- georges road. lights with Moorefeilds road. Turned the corner. Now I was at speed 40km/h maybe even 50.

but I had bit of metal puncture my tyre. Turning right - left hand tyre sidewall gouged out 4 inchs-
I saved the car except for the guttter but I missed all the sings and concreate and any other car.

Tyres and wheels and cars are cheap - Life is not.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
mmm i've done it twice, once in the wet when i basically hit the corner going too fast (its a 2 lane 180 turn-around near my place, wide and long) and the back end let go, i managed to hold the car sideways through it and safely missed the gutters, it was at 1am so no traffic thank god. my mate following said that was the best drift he'd seen on the road XD

second was near the gf. no warning, it just let go. spun right around. i only noticed the oil when i got out and checked the road.

i'm looking at driving courses, where you going nate?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Astina Andy

Hey Guys. The Promblem was the tyre PSI was 24, not the recommended 38. In the tight turn the tyre rolled off the rim.

Well thats my theroy.

EDIT - And me and my friends are all booking into a Defensive Driving School together hehe. Better safe than sorry!

Check out the ride:
My Ride
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
man its good to hear everyone's ok.

like mentioned above, we're human and we make mistakes.

some by accident, some due to inexperience and ignorance and some because we make a stupid decision. Ive had the back go on me a lot of times, sometimes coz it was very slippery and sometimes because ive yanked the handbrake up and now days correcting has really become just a reflex. I used to practice this kinda junk on my mates property in the counry, dirt roads with massive run off area wherever you look and overflater rear tires which give you the perfect training conditions.

Now im not saying that my driving is full proof, no ones is but if you can find a safe place to practice being out of control then that it allows you to study what actually happens in each case and also find the best solution to resolving it and regaining control of your car. Theory is one thing, implementing it in the moment when you have no time to think and need a correct reflex is another.

A training course will be a great idea, and keep the car looked after. Just the general things. Keep an eye on the fluids, keep the tires pressurised correctly and just have a peek at everything from time to time to make sure no nasty suprises come out of it.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
DVS
AstinaGT Regular

Car: BJII sp20
always check things on your car and properly maintain it... also go do a driver training course.... you will have fun but will learn some things that will make you a better driver...

if you do decide to modify your car focus on things that will actually make it safer rather than what some people do is whack a quick engine in and forget about the rest..... wider size rims and tyres will improve your handling along with sway bars and get a decent set of brake pads and rotors...or an upgrded package lowering the car with a decent set of springs helps too and then you can put whatever you want under the hood.

I use to go on twisty road runs in my bog standard ae92 corolla seca and after i did what i just mentioned you would be pretty impressed at how much better the car feels and how safer it is.....
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
RedLineResident

Car: BA V6 Hardtop 5 Speed & 97 Prelude VTIR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I use to go on twisty road runs in my bog standard ae92 corolla seca and after i did what i just mentioned you would be pretty impressed at how much better the car feels and how safer it is.....

I most definatelly second that.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right."
"Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
RedLineResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
Glad to hear you alright mate, And yeah the boys over at Crookys are great, there always there to lend a hand...

Anyways, where abouts did this happen, cause i got a picture that it happened at the back of Eddies when you go along the river to go past riverheart parklands, but yeah please elaborate for us .

Marc
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
Cincinnatus
Nate Dog

Car: Dah!
don't know, 24 psi doesn't sound low enough for the tyre to come off the rim, i'm thinking low single digits more likely, or u hit some really large obstacle, even then, would've burst the tyre not torn it off.

Do every driving school you can, none will be a waste of money, all will improve your driving ability by measures, only issue is: you could've been schumacher, without tyres, their ain't much you can do to recover from a spin.

Good to hear you all pulled up ok. batter maintenece of your car sounds the way to go.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Astina Andy

I'm learning. Only been on the road for a few months.

Before that I knew Jack-All about cars.

Marc - I think we are thinking of the same place, the bremer river on the left hand side, and a big concrete retaining wall on the other, holding back eddies from the road.

Check out the ride:
My Ride
Old 02-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astina Andy View Post

Marc - I think we are thinking of the same place, the bremer river on the left hand side, and a big concrete retaining wall on the other, holding back eddies from the road.
Yeah I thought that was where ya did it, and dont worry, i've lost it there once before in my old gemmy, not a happy experience when you hit oil at 50kmh in the rain on a winters night... Mind you that was over 3 years ago so i've kinda learnt from that mishap....

Oh and its 50km/h along that stretch, i nearly got caught cause of it

Marc
Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
1st of all - glad you and your passengers are safe and well. these things that you walk away from always build you into a better driver if you learn from it.

24psi isn't enough to roll the tyre unless you were doing a higher speed that you thought. i haven't been able to roll a tyre with 10psi in it.

driving course = good move.
you'll learn so much and is a really fun day. i had one up in the queensland section no long ago also.

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Astina Andy

Oh its only 50?. Opps, been driving that road every single day at 60 for the last 2 months. Good job there where no speed cameras!!

Marc if you go down there have a look at the grass on the eddies side, It has 2 massive tyre marks ripped out of it, thats where I went sidewards.

Ryan,
Yeah I really am looking forward to it. My driving instructor when I was on my Learners highly recommended it to me, and gave me a $50 off. He runs them where you can bring your own car, he says because every car handles differently,

but I think we will end up going to the Holden Performance Driving Center on Mount Cotton.
Name & Locations may or may not actually exist

Check out the ride:
My Ride
Old 02-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
marcs_sp20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astina Andy View Post
Oh its only 50?. Opps, been driving that road every single day at 60 for the last 2 months. Good job there where no speed cameras!!

Marc if you go down there have a look at the grass on the eddies side, It has 2 massive tyre marks ripped out of it, thats where I went sidewards.
I just went for a drive just before to see the marks, dude you are soo lucky that u didnt go any further and roll the car!!! I was going to take a photo but mister po-po rocked up just as i pulled over so i just jumped back in the car.

and yes seeing that its classed as residential road, its 50km/h.

I dont know if this would help, but when I was in grade 12 (2003), one of our teachers organised for us with learners & P's to do a driver training course at Willowbank raceway for the day, it was $95 and we got to either scoot round in our own cars or brand new Proton Satria.

I just googled and found these that might be of interest to you.

defensive driving course at willowbank raceway
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
89sp1.8

Car: bg astina
Send a message via MSN to 89sp1.8
theres also driving course at mt cotton,going to do one myself last nov,didnt get time..so this year at some stage
89sp1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #19
GISS-90BG

Car: 1990 BG Astina
Sorry to hear the story mate. Don't beat yourself up. We're young, we make bad choices. It's part of growing up.

Having said that, my advice is; Never, ever do anything riske' with passengers. Ever. It's just not worth it. Although I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that after ya experience.

Hope it doesn't take too long for your driving confidence to return; albeit with a heightened sense of safety.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Epik

Car: 1990 Mazda 323 Astina BG
Glad to hear everyone was okay mate; good work on giving the lads some stubbies.

*that was a good read also*
Epik is offline   Reply With Quote