Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 18-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Goodbye exhaust!

Small story but will be interesting to some i guess...

I noticed my exhaust tip pointing excessively to the ground the other day. so i thought i'd crawl under the car to have a look. (seriously hard to do when the car is lowered 60/70mm. but i got under there to see the welds on the intake of the muffler had broken away.

i was thinking this is a safety issue so i thought i'd try to remove it... after kicking it, hitting it etc i couldn't get it off so i assumed it would stay there until i could get it to the workshop to be rewelded.

well do my surprise while doing current suspension testing again. am doing damper stiffness tests at the moment allowing 6 inch slide shifts throught the rear tyres. using bumps to assist me. all of a sudden my exhaust become so extremely load and a can hear scraping/clanking metal sounds from the rear.

woah!!! i pooped myself. i hit the brakes, backed up a bit and there's my muffler, 90 degree turn pipe and tip resting up against a tree on the side of the road.

after looking at it later on - the piping has rusted inside the muffler and let go as the was still about 2 inches of baffle piping after the weld point on my exhaust pipe.

time for a new exhaust now me thinkz!!!

anyways, that's my story. anyone else got a weird one to tell about their cars?

ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 18-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Atleast it was a tree seeking muffler! How long did the mild steel last you before letting go like that?
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Hey,

i dont ever really correct anyone regarding what they wrote, but when i read "good by exhaust" i though "what?" i though you had a exhaust that was named/brand of Good, until i figured it was "Good Bye Exhaust".

Hey im also interested - like chicaboo said how long did it last for ? when you have the muffler installed ?
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble323
i dont ever really correct anyone regarding what they wrote, but when i read "good by exhaust" i though "what?" i though you had a exhaust that was named/brand of Good, until i figured it was "Good Bye Exhaust".
wouldn't that then be "Good Buy Exhaust"?

oh sleepy saturday

and has that mild steel always been used? (ie has there been long periods of inactivity?)
Old 18-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
project.r.racing

exhaust lasted just over 2 years / 50,000km. car does 600km per week average. i'll never buy mild steel again.

the mnild steel piping is ok (3.6mm) but the muffler rusted out. i'm assuming rich fuel loads and oil deposits shortened the life span of it.

ryan
Old 18-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Fixed

Doh about the exhaust! Lucky if didn't damage the rear bar as it exited the building.

About the only similar story i've got is when my catalytic converter died. Was sitting at a set of lights, and someone tooted me while the lights were still red. I looked in the rearview mirror, and see this massive white cloud coming out the back of my car.

I freaked, of course.

Pulled over into a side street, after the worst of the white smoke had gone (but still a fair bit coming out), thinking my turbo has blown an oil seal or the engine was fubar.

Walk around to the back of the car, thinking i'll be able to smell if it's oil thats creating the cloud...and proceed to almost pass out, as it's all the nasty things the catalytic converter stops from entering the atmosphere, but in a concentrated cloud!

I had headaches for days...and then 2 weeks of freaking every time a cop was near as it's a $10k fine not to have one - and it was over the chrstmas break when the workshop i used was closed!

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
sounds like you figured out it was cheaper to just buy a bug

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
lol no i had the bug then as well.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
project.r.racing

holy crap!!! yeah i wouldn't want a $10K fine either...

on the plus side for me, it has unrestricted my exhaust - torque in the middle is bigger. instead of power kicking in at 3500 rpm, it kicks in at 4000 rpm with a vegence (almost like a turbo car coming on to boost.) and revs to nearly 7000 rpm easily. so extra 500rpm and more power between 4000 - 7000 rpm.

on the negetive side for me - it's figgen loud and there is no noise suppression device fitted to the car. so the epa / dot / pigs will murder me if they hear the car. a defect notice will cost me my last point on my license and my license then also.

just gotta get the SS mandrel bend system fitted earlier than i thought now. the 1st part of it goes in tomorrow. adding a 2 bolt flang just behind the rear axle and it'll be 2.25" mandrel bend SS, keeping same setup and SS tip already fitted.

ryan